We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near northwest entrance?

newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near northwest entrance?

I was thinking of staying someplace near Maple valley to assess 90 area hikes and Carbonado area hikes mid July? I figured it was half way btween the two locations. I am having difficulty finding lodging. I also thought if the weather was really bad we could always head to Seattle for the day. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

I am not looking for the Holiday inn type of lodging......more unique, and rustic. Do not get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a chain hotel and if we can not find anything different we will certainly go there. How about a cabin, or bed and breakfast. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenage sons so we will need 2 rooms or a family suite type lodging. It is just too cozy in a room with 2 double beds. Some of our favorite lodging have been in the old national park cabins! So we are not lodging snobs.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Those are small towns turned exurbs--it's mostly tract housing and strip malls in Maple Valley- so they really don't have much in terms of lodging. I believe Enumclaw has a couple of motels--Enumclaw has a cute downtown and that would be a decent place to stay for the NW corner of Rainier, though it's not as good for the I-90 hikes. But there might be VRBO type cabins I don't know about in these areas, though I'm assuming you checked that since you mentioned wanting a cabin.

I'm not sure going in to Seattle as plan B is good because then you'll be dealing with rush hour traffic in to the city. It would be okay if you waited until 9 or 10, then came back to the hotel after 7.

Mid July is the earliest you could hike at Rainier--you are taking the chance of trails not be melted out if we have a snowy winter or cool spring. Late July is better.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Yep we have to go mid July with my sons high school commitments. I understand the timing may not be optimal but we will make the best of it. I hope some of the higher alpine trails are open. I wonder if we may have more luck when we go to the Sunrise section? I would love to be ther peak flower time!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Is there any reason you have not considered being closer to the Longmire entrance. Ashford has lots of cabin rentals!

Mentioned in this post
Ashford
Ashford
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Yes I saw tons of cabin rentals in the Ashford area but thought the route and activities we are planning it might work to stay more north. We fly into Sea tac and then I thought we would stay 2 nights Maple valley area and be half way to Snoqualmie falls area, twin falls! Mason lake, and Talapus lake and then hike south to Green lake trail, Carbon glacier and Spray park. I also thought if the weather was too rainy we could go into Seattle for the day or evening ect as it looked like a hour away. After Maple valley are we head up toward gold bar for white water rafting on the Skykomish and hike explore along route 2 and stay in Leavenworth for the night. next we head to Ellensburg area for fly fishing on the Yakima. Next stop would be Paradise for 2 days. Here is where I am stumped.....how to get to Olympic national park for 3 days with stops in Forks, La push, Cape Alva! hohoho rain forest! Lake crescent, Port angels then take ferry to Seattle for then fly home.

I figured we could see the south portion of Mt Rainier and I really want to stay in the Paradise lodge so that is the long answer why not staying in Ashford cabins. The state is so big and so much to see I had to whittle it down already with no trip to Columbia river gorge area and Mt St. Helens. I figured if it is rainy we can do a day trip to east entrance of Mt St. Helens off of Randle. I am eager for thoughts and ideas if ya got any!

I thought we would head up route 7 from Ashford to 16 to 101 or up toward Olympia and 101. Either way I thought a 6 hour drive day. I try to limit daily driving to 2-3 hours but there appears to be no other way to get to Olympic. I also thought of doing Olympic first and then head down 101 to Olympia then down 7 to Ashford and then the other areas. I also thought that the north and east sections of the park may be more accessible mid July.

Mentioned in this post
Ashford
Ashford
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Yakima
Yakima
Washington
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
1,432 Reviews
Mount Rainier National Park, WA
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Sorry I am totally lost. If you decide on Ashford and then want to head to Olympic get back to me. You can not beat staying at Paradise for location. The rooms are kind of Spartan.

Mentioned in this post
Ashford
Ashford
Washington
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Those I-90 hikes you mentioned aren't the best of the area--I'd actually characterize Talapus Lake as downright boring, and you have so many other good choices nearby. Mason Lake is nice, but not as spectacular as others in the area. Did you used to live here and these have sentimental value or something?

Do you know the Carbon Glacier trail is 17.5 miles round trip since the road washed out in 2006?

visitrainier.com/pg/…20Trail

Even in a lower snow year, you will still find snow at Spray Park in mid July. It may be easy to traverse if we've had a warm spring, but I wouldn't count on Spray Park that early. You'll need some luck. You are coming early so it won't be peak flower time, though early flowers ie avalanche lilies can be beautiful (you just don't get the variety you get in peak time). You would have more luck finding snow free trails on the eastern side of the park (not exclusively at Sunrise, but also near Hwy 410). You could stay at Alta Crystal Resort or at Crystal Mountain for these. I'd do that rather than trying to find a place where you can also hike the I-90 trails.

I wonder if you should spend more time in Leavenworth instead of trying to do I-90 and NE Rainier hikes. The hiking around there is fantastic, and they get less snow than the western side of the Cascades so you should have choices.

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Thanks for the information. It is experts like you that have always helped me plan our wonderful national park vacations. I had come up with the idea to spend time west side of Mt. Rainier and have access to Seattle and 90 hikes. I will revert to my original plan and head to rt 2 and hike more in the Alpine wilderness area, Leavenworth. I get so enthused about a new trip and read so much information I get overloaded!

I was not aware of the road washing out toward the Carbon glacier area. I looked at the Crystal mountain area and thought it seems higher and assumed it would be more snow covered. I understand if I am correct the eastern side of the mountain gets less rain, snow?

I would love to come later in the summer but it is impossible.

What hikes can you recommend east side of Mt. Rainier, and Levenwrorh area? We enjoy forest area, water features like lakes or stream, not much longer than 9 miles and for us not much more than 2000 elevation gain. I love the wildflowers ( my teen age sons not so much!). My sons enjoy a challenge with a bit of danger like the hike in Acadia called the Beehive or Zion hikes with chains to hang on to! We tend to not enjoy the exposed type hike.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
1,432 Reviews
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Crystal Mountain doesn't get as much snow as many areas at Mt Rainier, though it still gets a good deal, The lodging is at the base so that will definitely be open and dry in mid July. If you find much of Rainier's trails still snow covered, the gondola at Crystal takes you up to beautiful views.

Near Leavenworth, Colchuck Lake is gorgeous and just about what you asked for.

www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/colchuck-lake

Eightmile Lake is another idea (easier, not as spectacular): www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/eightmile-lake

There are plenty more--Leavenworth's website has many other options:

http://www.leavenworth.org/trails

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
1,432 Reviews
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging near northwest entrance?

Thanks for the reply! I will plan on staying Crystal mountain area and hope for the best with moderate snow fall for access to trails. We traveled to Glacier national park in Montana end of July early August and still a great deal of snow fields and trail closures to deal with so I appreciate the variety of snow that may alter our plans.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States