We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

How close is Amanda Park in the Lake Quinault area to Second Beach? I can't figure this out. I am thinking of renting a home there for a few nights but want to make sure that Amanda Park is in a good location. Will Amanda Park be close to the Rain Forest area and the beach area? What is the best drive directions to get to Amanda Park in the Lake Quinault area from the airport in Seattle? I am hearing that we should drive from the airport to the Lake Quinault area and avoid going to Seattle to catch a ferry to Port Angeles to then drive over to the coast?Would you suggest we drive from the coast toward Port Angeles to do the northern part of the park based from Collette's? We also want to take a two day trip to Pender Island from Victoria so it sounds like we should do the Pender Island trip from Port Angeles after we do the southernwestern part of ONP. Would you agree?

Our trip is coming together, I think. I just need confirmation about what part of ONP to see first.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

Marla

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

It would be an ok location for the beaches, but Forks would be better. You'd be in or close to the Quinault Rainforest but probably a good hour to 90 minutes from the Hoh. And Second Beach would be about 1.5 hours.

If you go there first head south from the airport on I-5 to exit 104 just south of Olympia, and take Rt. 8/12 west to Aberdeen/Hoquiam, where you'll pick up Rt. 101 north.

I'm not sure I understand some of your questions about getting to Port Angeles and going on to Victoria. If you're going on to Victoria from Port Angeles, then yes, it would make sense to see the western part of ONP first, then the northern part, then go to Victoria. Is that what you're asking?

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

Yes! That is exactly what I was wondering about what to do. I will look for a place to stay around Forks so we will be closer to the highlights we want to catch.

Thanks,

Marla

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

Ok. You're not going to find anything of the caliber of Colette's out in Forks, but if you're ok with something simple, I've stayed twice now in one of the two housekeeping units at the Brightwater House outside of Forks and thought it was great for exploring the area (I was just out there the weekend before last).

You might also look into the new cabins at the La Push resort.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

I will check out both suggestions now!

Thanks,

Marla

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

I think our trip has come together. It involves more moves than I originally hoped to make; but we will have time in the dawn of day to be where we need to be and at sunset to be where we want to be.

From the airport, we will go to Alderbrook since it is less than 2 hours from the airport after a long flight. We don't want to drive 3 hours after a 4 hour airplane trip. We will see the Hood Canal area and just stay there overnight. From there, we will drive to the Lake Quinault Lodge for a night. Then to the Brightwater House for 3 nights. From there to Port Angeles for 3 nights and then to Seattle for 2 nights. Does that sound like a good route? Is 3 nights too many in the Forks area? I hate that we will be moving so much, but we need to be where my husband can be set up for taking photographs at 6:00 AM and at sunset without much travel time to get to the place for the photographs. Now, looking for suggestions about photo opportunities that are off the beaten path.

Marla

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

Hi Marla,

What happened to Pender Island. And, if still going to the Canadian Gulf Islands, why Pender?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,659 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

since you'll be there you can do a day trip to Victoria without the car to look around. If going to pender, you would need the car.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

You'll definitely be able to see a lot of the Peninsula with that itinerary. I don't think 3 nights in Forks is too much--you can do the Hoh and the beaches west of Forks (eg Rialto, Second) on one of your full days there, then head up to the Neah Bay area on your 2nd full day and do the Cape Flattery, Shi Shi and/or Ozette trails.

9. Re: Driving directions from Sea-Tac to the beach area of ONP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:15