We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OPN with a long RV

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
OPN with a long RV

We are two families planning to be in WA/ONP in late July with 2 RVs of around 30 ft.

We are looking for a nice campground as a base from where we would explore Hoh, Ruby Beach, Sol Duc.

Any recommendation where we find shelter with these long vehicles?

Thanks a lot

Markus

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OPN with a long RV

I think you might try the Sol Duc Campground. Contact the park about it, but there should be room for your vehicles. Also, the campground has fairly well developed facilities and is near the Sol Duc Hot Spring Resort, which has a swimming pool, a small general store, and a restaurant.

But I must ask why you want to travel this way. Gas prices are quite high on the Olympic Peninsula; distances are great, and the roads can be twisty. The road along Lake Crescent, in particular, will be very frightening in such long vehicles.You also SHOULD NOT TRY GOING UP HURRICANE RIDGE RD. IN THESE VEHICLES. Last year, we had a terrible tragedy when a large RV, which admittedly was old and poorly maintained, lost its brakes on the descent from Hurricane Ridge and crashed, killing the driver and injuring several members of his family. When this happened the local authorities said that over the years, there have been many problems with drivers in large RVs who have had brake problems on the descent from Hurricane Ridge. Some of the roads, such as Hurricane Hill Rd., Deer Park Rd., Whisky Bend Rd., and Obstruction Pt. Rd. forbid large RVs entirely.

If you want to save money, you might do better to rent a house in Port Angeles. The town Chamber of Commerce has a website, www.portangeles.org, with many choices under the "lodging" section, including some that are more than roomy enough for two families. You could also try renting a house in Forks; this might be even cheaper.

I am very glad that you are coming all the way from Germany to see this beautiful park, and I hope you have a splendid trip.

If you have any questions about supermarkets and food shopping out here, or about distances between attractions, please feel free to ask.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OPN with a long RV

My friend with an RV always mentions Heart O' the Hills at the base of Hurricane Ridge as his favorite campground. I think he said the slots there are extra big. He also goes out to Kalaloch frequently - near Ruby Beach. That's a good base for the Hoh Rain Forest and Lake Quinault.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OPN with a long RV

Hello, again. I don't want to sound like a fanatic, but this morning our local paper in Port Angeles carried an account of another crash on the grade leading down from Mt. Angeles, which joins the Hurricane Ridge Rd. A National Park dump truck lost its brakes and crashed, fortunately with no loss of life, at 7:45 last Friday morning. Horrifyingly, the crash occurred just as a group of school children was preparing to cross the road to the local elementary school which is down the road from the park entrance. The park's spokeswoman pointed out that there is no breakaway lane on the Hurricane Ridge Rd. and probably never will be because it is not appropriate for a national park. There are serious questions about the safety of this road for all heavy vehicles, including trucks and RVs.

Everyone, please be careful on the Hurricane Ridge Rd., especially while you are descending. Use a low gear. It is more dangerous than it looks.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OPN with a long RV

Where is Heart O' the Hills exactly? A ways up the hill? Something I read talked about it being below Hurricane Ridge some distance.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OPN with a long RV

It's located just within the park boundary, main road, after the Visitor Center.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OPN with a long RV

Heart o' the Hills is not a good base for the Westend attractions like the Hoh Rain Forest, Ruby Beach, and Sol Duc. It's two hours from Ruby Beach and the Hoh and about an hour and a half from the trailhead to Sol Duc Falls. It also has limited facilities and is very dark due to the tree cover. It is a good base only for Hurricane Ridge.

Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OPN with a long RV

Thanks a lot for all your contributions.

@ Kaleberg: appreciate your warning, we do not plan to go up to Hurrican Ridge. We travel by RV because we were dreaming of this kind of holdays since years (my wife has traveled a lot in the US this way 30 ys ago with her parents) and: we need to accomodate 6 children ( 2 parents + 2 kids and 2 parents + 4 kids); not much choices and it´s all booked now.

re Sol Duc Campground: some people say it´s a parking lot with some hook ups, and the near by NFS campground is nicer. Any experience there?

Thanks again, this forum is extremely helpful.

Markus (aka otto60)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OPN with a long RV

I'm not sure how many listings this website has for the area you are going, but it may be helpful:

http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

This also may be useful - scroll down to Locations:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm

And - http://www.rvparkreviews.com

Do keep in mind that if you are staying somewhere for more than a couple of days without hookups, you will need to find somewhere to dump your tanks and refill your fresh water. Keep an eye on your coach batteries and always run your generator when you use the water pump for more than just a moment or two. And unless your MH has an in-line insta-hot, you will have limited hot water at any one time!

9. Re: OPN with a long RV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 16:20