We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions from the locals???

seabrook, tx
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions from the locals???

Hi. I am planning at trip next year and I am thinking maybe September. I want to experience some of the overcast and fog yet still have some days with full on sun, so I am hoping this will be a good choice in months.

Also, what I would love to do is to find a mid-leveled hike where I can camp and fish the streams/rivers, pack up and hike to a new location with some diversities with each location I pack/camp at. I'd prefer to camp with some degree of isolation...any suggestions?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions from the locals???

mid to late September would be best for a fog sun mix.

I am not a fly fisherman but would suggest googling fly fishing clubs or look at books in your local fly shop. You have time to ask WA state tourism for pointers. Enjoy your trip, Washington is glorious in the fall in the mountains.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,023 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions from the locals???

If you would like to camp and fish in isolated areas, you might try asking these guys for suggestions:

http://www.hilakers.org/

They probably keep the best and most remote spots a secret, but they may be willing to help with others.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions from the locals???

Are you talkin' car camping or backpacking?

I'd consider Bogachiel, Elwaha, Dosewalips, Duckabush, Hamma Hamma and Skokomish.

September is a great month to visit. Probably the least likely month for any kind of "heavy weather".

NP fishing regs are here:

http://www.nps.gov/olym/fishing.htm

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions from the locals???

The owner of the Rialto Beach House west of Forks recommends the Rich Wine Bar on the Quillayute River for fishing. It's a short, four mile long river, but several major tributaries lead off of it, funneling lots of fish through this narrow channel.

Besides that, there's a great view of Mount Olympus from the sand bar, which is generally screened off by tall trees everywhere else on the west peninsula.

olympiccircletour.com/quillayute_river.html

5. Re: Suggestions from the locals???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 14:25