We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane ridge drive

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane ridge drive

Looking on google maps it looks like the drive up to hurricane ridge is a loop. Is this correct or is it the same way up turn round and go back down.

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane ridge drive

It can be either part of a long loop around the Olympic Peninsula or an up-and-back depending on how you configure your trip. Hurricane Ridge is about an 18 mile spur that goes into the Olympic Mountains at Port Angeles. Port Angeles is located on the north side of Highway 101, which a long loop around the Olympic Peninsula If you, start from, let's say Seattle, you can drive to Port Angeles going clockwise on 101, go to Hurricane Ridge, then return to Seattle the way you came on 101. Or you can continue west at Port Angeles on the 101 loop. There is a better interactive map for the area on the Olympic National Park web site at

http://www.nps.gov/olym/

Look for the View Map link and click on it.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane ridge drive

I interpreted this question differently from Cicimo.

Freshfields98, the road up to Hurricane Ridge from the entry station in Port Angeles is NOT a loop. You drive up, get out and either choose one of the several gorgeous hikes or return to your car after strolling around the Visitor Center. Then you drive back down the mountain on the same road by which you ascended.

Googlemaps cannot be fully trusted when it comes to Olympic National Park as it is seriously out of date in some places. What you saw as part of a loop is a very old, now abandoned, early access road to Hurricane Ridge. You cannot drive this road, and, in fact, it is not even a road anymore. It is now the Wolf Creek Trail to Whisky Bend. You can hike it, but you cannot drive it.

seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane ridge drive

Interesting juxtaposition here. In contrast to my regional perspective, Kaleberg provides a local one with some interesting historical information as well. Either way, the only access to Hurricane Ridge by driving is from Hwy 101 using Hurricane Ridge Road, which originates in Port Angeles and ends at Hurricane Ridge. It looks like Google created an apparent local loop, when none was existent, by stitching a couple of time periods together. If your focus was the local situation with Hurricane Ridge Road, I hope my broader perspective was still useful.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane ridge drive

Hi

Thanks to you both.

Your interpretation was spot on. I thought we could drive Wolf Creek Trail.

Have to plan on being in the car a little longer as we're booked in at the Sol Duc Spring Resort that night.

5. Re: Hurricane ridge drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 06:27