We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
631 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

Hi everybody

We have a day either July 9 or 10 for this part of the park. Where will we find the best wildflowers and least people. Has the snow melted so we can drive out to Obstruction Point? Is it a good plan to do a 10am whale watch with P.S. Express out of PT and then late afternoon up to the park?

Thanks

Have Fun

GP

seattle
Level Contributor
663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

Least people? Obstruction Point. But, that late in the day (I expect you'll arrive at the Hurricane Ridge parking lot about 4 pm or so if you head right up), probably both will be relatively sparsely populated, with most people you see on their way out. Although I haven't been up yet this year, I've read on other websites that Hurricane Hill Road was open to the trailhead and people walking to the top, and people still waiting for Obstruction Point Road to open, scheduled for July 4.

Not sure about wildflowers, but maybe Kaleberg will see this and comment further. His website described flowers in bloom now at Hurricane Hill.

I think Hurricane Hill is a better choice for a late afternoon up and back, mainly because of the roads. I would be hesitant to drive back on Obstruction Point Road when the sun starts going down (sunset is at 9 pm on those days). For an interesting description, see the entry for mile post 248 Obstruction Point Trailhead at http://www.windsox.us/DRIVE/d300.html#NED.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

I don't know when the whale watch ends, but I second Cicimo's concern about driving on Obstruction Pt. Rd. as it gets late. By July 9, the wildflowers on Hurricane Hill will be past their peak, although they should still be beautiful. They will be spectacular on Obstruction Pt. Rd. as the flowering there is later than that on Hurricane Hill. It all depends on the timing of your day. Remember that weather conditions can change fast on the Lillian Ridge Trail at the end of Obstruction Pt. Rd., so make sure you dress in layers and have plenty of water. If you would like to see current conditions on Hurricane Hill, look at www.kaleberg.com.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
631 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

OK we can skip the whale watch. We saving the whole San Juan thing for another trip. So we will go out to Obstruction Point for the day. We have done quite a bit of hiking in the Cascades and Serria, so we know layers and hydration. Is Obstruction Point road open yet? Is Lillian Ridge Trail the best hiking trail? Thanks for the help Kaleburg! I have your web site bookmarked and visit every few days for the great info there.

Have Fun

GP

West Coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

Warning: The good to go cookies featured on Kaleberg's site will make you salivate.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

As of today, Obstruction Pt. Rd. is only open the first four miles. However, there is an excellent chance it will be open all the way by the time you get here. I prefer the Lillian Ridge Trail because it immediately offers a huge payoff in terms of views and wildflowers. The little glacial tarns are particularly lovely. If you are ambitious, you can hike this trail all the way down to Grand Lake. Check the park website for conditions. I am too much of a wimp to get all the way down there, but just hiking out for an hour or two brings incredible rewards. If you do decide to go for Grand Lake, bring bug repellent as it is one of the few park trails where mosquitoes can be a problem. I'd recommend hiking poles for the descent unless your knees are young and spry.

seattle
Level Contributor
663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

Obstruction Point Road was open yesterday. Not too bad, but it is a narrow dirt road with steep ascents and descents and sheer drops. If you are going to be driving a rental car, check the contract and make sure you are good for nonpaved roads.

We hiked the Obstruction Point-Lillian Ridge-Grand Lake-Badger Valley Loop, in that direction. Overall a tough hike. Took us much longer than expected because of the long and, in places, difficult ascent back to Obstruction Point from Badger Valley. Most seem to recommend doing that loop in reverse direction. I should note that the handrail for the 10 or so yards long log bridge that crosses Badger Creek has fallen apart. The log has also rolled so that the flat section for walking is now at an angle to the water, rather than level. One will need to be creative in figuring out a means of crossing without falling about 15 feet into a pretty rough stretch or water.

7. Re: Obstruction Point Vs Hurricane Hill with whale watch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park