We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

udayverma
Level Contributor
47 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi

I wanted to go earlier but could not make it but this time I have 2.75 days on my hands.I will be staying on 31st avenue,Seattle.I will be having a rental car and I have 2 additional drivers.We will be 4,me and my friend flying together,two other member flying from diff place to Seattle.Trip starts 25 july and ends 27 july 8.30 pm at sea tac airport.Looking for scenic views,nature,greenery,alpine vegetation,beach but no desert plains on mountains..

I may sound very ambitious but I have no option.

Day1(Friday) : goto NCNP first till marblemount,then go from there for hike to cascade pass(if m not wrong). After that drive all the way till ross lake and see things on the way and come back to my place in Seattle.I will try leave early.Does it sound ambitious? What other things can I see on the way in NCNP? Which road is more scenic I5 to hw20 or

I5 to hw530 to hw20 into park?Is this plan good?

Day2: Very hectic day I guess.

I was studying about ONP as suggested last time by voyage and was also directed to Kaleberg site.I know its experiantial park and I should spend more time but I have no option right now.

I am thinking of leaving early saturday for ONP.I believe I will have to take ferry from edmond till kingston.Is this best route for me( I looked in google maps and it took me through this from my address).Please suggest how early also I should reach to catch ferry.

I plan to first visit Hurricane ridge,take trail at their visitor center(how much rt time it takes).Then I plan to drive till obstruction point.See some scenery over there(there is a trail there too I guess).

Then I plan to drive till Hoh rain forest.Which are the best short trails to take at Hoh forest

In the evening I plan to see Rialto beach.

I plan to drive towards Portland from rialto beach.Any suggestions which city on the way will be cheap to stay ,just to sleep.

Day 3:I want to see Multonomah falls near Portland, Oregon.I have heard that beaches on the Oregon coast are really beautiful.Are they better than Rialto beach or there isn't significant difference and I can skip .If they are good, which one do you suggest Astoria(some don't call it beach),Canon or any other.

I don't think I will be going till Newport since I have members with me who have to catch flight at 10pm Sunday night.

Sorry if asked about Portland but didn't know where to ask about comparison part.

Any comments or suggestions?

Sorry for bothering but any help would be appreciated.

ps: I may head to Mt. Rainer with my friend on 23july before my actual trip starts with all group members.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
1,444 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
Hoh Rain Forest
Hoh Rain Forest
1,139 Reviews
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
541 Reviews
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

Oh goodness, I think my head just exploded ;-).

Day 1 is highly unrealistic, as is Day 2 (even more so than day 1, especially if you think you're going to arrive in Portland that same day).

Have you looked at maps so you understand the distances involved?

Why not just skip North Cascades this trip and focus on ONP?

What do you mean, you have no option? You can always choose to do less.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

IMHO, that's all too ambitious.

udayverma
Level Contributor
47 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks for looking by :)

I knew it was coming so I mentioned myself only highly ambitious.

Yup right you can always do less.

I came last summer to seattle and covered seattle.

It gets pretty expensive to come from midwest to seattle if you stay at smaller cities. When time is right the flights are always expensive.Its difficult to spend fortune again and again,make plans with friends when all of you are students. :)

Okay day 1: I looked at the distance ,marble mount was 2 hrs drive from my place.If I drive straight till ross its 3.30 minutes. So can't I reach seattle by night?

I guess I got wrong about cascade pass trail it is 3.5 miles( donno rt or oneway ) so are there an easy trails I can take which can give me view of beautiful mountains?

I too feel bad about 1 day at ONP but want to see if I am sapped at end of day. I read the article where fellow husker :) saw these 3 main attractions in 1 day.Just keeping myself motivated.

I don't plan to reach Portland but drive as far as I can 2nd day.So where can I stop to catch sleep (cheap cities).

I am sure I will be coming back to Seattle "It keeps calling back" at some point of life but not sure when.Since I have coll friends ,it makes more enjoyable.

Hope my intentions are understood .

Still expecting ans to same queries posted above .

Thanks again for taking pain to read long post.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

I'm sorry. Every now and again there is a post like yours, and I struggle to be helpful rather than horrified.

Of course you have options. Just drop some of the side trips. Please, for your own sake, look at some maps. Obstruction Point Road is not for you. It will take way too long as you can only do about 15 miles an hour.

Skip Rialto Beach. It pains me to diss my beloved ONP beaches, but you will see equally lovely, although different, beaches in Oregon.

Just to give you an idea of how insane this plan is: the visitor center at Hurricane Ridge is roughly three hours and 45 minutes from Seattle, longer if there is a ferry wait. The Hoh Rain Forest is three hours from the visitor center at Hurricane Ridge. If you are planning on continuing to Portland, you won't have time to get of the car, let alone hike a trail.

Roads on the Olympic Peninsula are two lane. If you get behind a slow camper, you will be forced to drive at his speed, not yours. In some places, such as the drive along Lake Crescent, the road is quite curvy, and the speed limit falls to 35 mph.

There aren't many places to eat, either, so planning meal stops is essential unless you are going to pack your food and munch as you drive.

Mentioned in this post
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
541 Reviews
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
1,444 Reviews
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Hoh Rain Forest
Hoh Rain Forest
1,139 Reviews
Olympic Peninsula
Olympic Peninsula
20 Reviews
Washington
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
889 Reviews
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

Well, then, in that case, I will just wish you good luck and hope I'm not on the same road when you're falling asleep at the wheel from exhaustion.

udayverma
Level Contributor
47 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

Okay

I drop Rialto beach so now can I make my plan as mentioned above for 1 day an ONP 2nd day?

Kaleberg I will drop obstruction too if reqd at that time.

Any suggestions now?

Mentioned in this post
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
541 Reviews
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice

Ok, just because something *can* be done, doesn't mean it should be. Why would you drive 3.5 hours each way to do a hike and see mountains in NCNP, when you can do some lovely hikes and see lovely mountains much closer? It doesn't make a lot of sense. You could drive up Rt. 2 (Stevens Pass) instead of all the way up to Rt. 20, for example, and do the Surprise Lake trail.

Even closer is the gorgeous Snow Lake hike up at Snoqualmie Pass.

You wouldn't even be getting to the best scenery/short hikes on Rt. 20 if you only go as far as Ross Lake (IMO) so why not wait to do that another time when you have more time to spend up there?

udayverma
Level Contributor
47 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice

Feels sad but I guess there is quite a lot to see in NCNP that I should devote one more trip to seattle for NCNP.

I guess with heavy heart I can modify my trip to leave for ONP from SEATAC at 8.30 am on july 24th and see probably hurricane ridge,take hurricane hill hike ,visit obstruction point and may be in evening at low tide time ,(will have to look at Kaleberg for tide table).

Probably stay somewhere donno ( what is cheap place to stay around ONP if any?)

July 25th leave for hoh forest ,do moss lake trail,any other must do short trail?

Reach by evening some(suggestions? )beach (canon,astoria or any other)in portland.

July 26th morning see multonomah falls ,see on way back some something from mount rainer NP.

Arrive Seatac at 8.30 pm .

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
udayverma
Level Contributor
47 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks Northwestwanderer

By the time you posted your reply I was typing my modified schedule.

I have taken your suggestion into account.I have thursday with me to use.I guess i can drive till the snowqualmie pass and may probably do this trail.Its 8 mile round trip.I like the I90 corridor going towards spokane so may just keep driving for driving pleasure.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice

go to www.googlearth.com and look the area over.