We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip To Olympic National Park

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
3 posts
Save Topic
Trip To Olympic National Park

We ( family of 6) with 4 small children) will be in Olympia on 8/11 AM, and like to go see ONP area perferely driving and less hike.with three day starting Tues. morning from Olympia and like to be back in Seatle via ferry on Thur. PM, please recommend places to go to fit our schedule, we like to see the farms, mountain, lakes and sea. Thanks in advance.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Have you tried doing a search on previous posts about the Peninsula and Olympic National Park? There have been a number of recent threads within the last few months that should help you with some preliminary ideas. With a family, I'd suggest basing yourselves in the Port Angeles area and doing day trips rather than changing hotels. The Red Lion and Olympic Lodge might work for you, or look into renting a house in the area.

San Diego
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Thanks very much, i do have some ideas now. we will base in PA and go from there.

ivana

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

If you are interested in farms, look at www.kaleberg.com, where you will find a map with some of our local farms on it. There are also pictures and descriptions. You should take the children to Dungeness Valley Creamery and sample some of their raw milk. You can take a walk to the Dungeness River behind the dairy.

You will also want to visit Lake Crescent. Since you don't want to walk much, try the short hike to Marymere Falls at the Barnes Creek Ranger Station on the lake.

For the ocean, try Rialto Beach. It is the most accessible of the beaches as you can drive right to the beach. Second Beach requires you to climb a large driftwood barrier, so it is probably too much for you and the children.

Drive up to Hurricane Ridge and walk around the meadows near the Visitor Center

I agree with staying in Port Angeles and that the Red Lion or Olympic Lodge are the best choices there.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Ivanascandia,

You do have enough time to see all aspects of the ONP. So with that may I suggest you head west out of Olympia on Highway 8 then go north on 101. I hope you have a map. Stop at Kalaloch and walk the beach. Its beautiful. From Olympia you are 123 miles and a little over 2 1/2 hrs. So you could have lunch there or pack a picnic or cont. to head north on 101. Next stop should be Hoh rain forest. 40 miles. There are a couple of short very little elevation trails you could go on with ranger led programs. Very nice. Make sure you have insect repellant. Then head to Forks for the night and dinner. Wed get up have breakfast then go to Rialto beach. There is a morning hike out to hole in the wall with the ranger. you need to go on low tide which they have at the ranger station. That would take a half day. So head east on 101. You could stop at sol duc for a soak in the hot springs or mess around on Lake Crescent. Spend the night in Port Angeles. That would be Thrus Head up to Hurricane Ridge will take you less then an hour, Then after that head east on 101 on to the ferries and Seattle. You will have seen, the coast, temperate rain forest Lakes and mountains all in one national park.

Hope this helps... Get a map

San Diego
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Thanks all of you fopr the advises, the concerns we are having is finding a decent place to spend the night for 6 people, we can't camp and there aren't many hotels out there, the B&B has it wown rules regarding # of people. we want to book some place ahead, don't want to go there and try to find a place to spend the night, any good place you can suggest in Forks" thanks in advance.

ivana

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Ivana,

I absolutely understand that you need advanced reservation for lodging. I sure hope you have a map so you can map out your trip. I love maps and use them all the time. A regular map of washington will do and you can get one at a book store I think. Sometimes drug stores have them. I just googled Forks Washington motels and a lot of info with phone numbers came up also the same for Port Angeles. A lot of the motels have toll free numbers so you call to see if they can accommodate your family. I have a phone that I can call anywhere in the US. Anyhow I 'm that there will be somewhere you can stay. Also you can look up what the rate is and amenities.I don't know what your budget is but mine is always cheap if I can find it. Port Angeles has a Super 8. Good luck.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

That's the main reason I suggested doing an "out and back" trip and staying in Port Angeles rather than driving around the loop and having to change hotels--the hassle factor.

You may find a 2 or 3 BR house rental is less expensive than getting 2 hotel rooms (I don't think many places allow 6 people in one room).

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Northwestwonderer,

In all do respect, it just seems a shame for Ivan to base her tour of ONP in PA when she could make the loop as she is starting from Olympia. She could do the west side staying in Forks, BTW I looked up the Forks Motel and they could accommodate her family as they have a 2 bedroom room that would sleep her family for a little over 100$ Then she could stay in PA to see the north sites like H.R. That way she could see all aspects of the ONP. I'm only trying to help Ivana get the best trip of the ONP. Its really is an awesome park and to get a feel for the diversity you need to make the loop.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Have you seen the place in Forks?

People coming back from there are not saying much good about the food or lodgings in Forks.

With the tourist pressure they will no doubt step it up, but are they there yet?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip To Olympic National Park

Let's just say reasonable minds can differ, ok ;-)? I just think staying in one place and doing day trips is going to be much more comfortable especially when traveling with a big family. Plus, having done both trips many times, I personally feel the bottom part of the peninsula from Olympia to Aberdeen is not all that interesting so that also plays into my opinion. IMO it's a much more scenic drive from Olympia up along Hood Canal to Port Angeles.

You feel differently, and that's totally cool because that way the OP gets several different POVs and can choose what they feel works best for them.