We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries and Sequim questions

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries and Sequim questions

On our way out from Seattle to La Push, we would like to stop and pick up a few bottles of wine from the wineries. I got a map of 7 wineries in PT and PA, but would like some reviews from those of you who have sampled some of the wines.

My next question has to do with Sequim. My friend is attending a conference all day there, and I have the day to roam (I will have a car.) I would love to go to Dungeness Spit, and wondered if there was enough to do there to spend a few hours. I would do a short hike. I thought I'd then go in and spend 2-3 hours in town doing some shopping and checking out the town. Is there enough there to keep me occupied? I live in a town just a bit smaller, and you would be hard pressed to find things to do here for that long. I would be interested in any other suggestions you might have on how I occupy my day. Thanks so much!!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

It would be helpful if we knew what wines were on the list. Sorensen in PT is very good.

As far as things to occupy you while marooned in Sequim, howzabout:

http://www.trollhaven.org/

Have a nice visit,

chuck.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

Spend your time walking the Spit. There is very little shopping in Sequim.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

I would drive to Port Townsend if you have extra time after hiking the Spit; it's a more interesting town for shopping/browsing.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

Sequim ( median age: 65 and rising) defines the term "boring". There is no , repeat no, interesting shopping in Sequim. I'm no spring chicken myself, but I find this place creepy, not because there are so many old people, but because there are so few young people. This level of age segregation is depressing. Sighting a teenager in Sequim is like sighting an orca in the Puget Sound. It just lifts your spirits for days.

The Dungeness Spit is great. You can hike for 2 hours to the Lighthouse and 2 more coming back. If this is too much for you, I second the other posters who tell you to visit Pt. Townsend.

I don't know which wineries you had planned to tour, but Olympic Cellars, Black Diamond, Camaraderie (beautiful winery), and my own favorite, Harbinger Winery, are all in Port Angeles. Sorensen is in Port Townsend, a touristy but interesting burg with many beautifully preserved Victorian buildings, good ice cream, and lots of kitscheries. If you would like to try kayaking, you can do it here, right from downtown.

Do at least try for lunch at Alder Wood Bistro in Sequim. It really is great. If it just doesn't fit your schedule, try the Fountain Cafe in Port Townsend.

seattle
Level Contributor
657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

LOL, Nothing wrong with older people who have paid their dues in their younger years and living the life of Riley. The demographics reflect a transition of the region from an agricultural to retirement community. Last I checked, a decent retirement was part of the American Dream.

As to shopping, what's not to like about a town that has Costco, even Port Angeles doesn't have one; Walmart; Walgreens; Home Depot; and A-1 Auto. There's also Sunny Farms, Nash's, and the Open Aire Market on Saturdays to provide a contrast. Just not Central Park or shopping on Worth Avenue.

The attraction of Sequim is its natural beauty, which one sees in the surrounding area. There is the blue hole, which serves as a beacon when driving from Seattle on a dreary overcast day. Take a drive around the Dungeness Valley, along Marine Drive, Happy Valley, and the valleys up Palo Alto and Lost Mountain Roads... At Dungeness Spit, be sure to walk along the bluffs; great view to the west.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

Let me make my point clearer: I have nothing against the old. It's the extreme age segregation in Sequim that I find unhealthy. I would be just as freaked out by a town populated by nothing but 25 year olds.

I don't think most visitors are interested in traveling to Sequim to shop at a Costco or a Walmart. You can find them anywhere.

7. Re: Wineries and Sequim questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 07:19