We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
7 posts
Save Topic
backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I will be spending 3 weeks in ONP in August. Home base will be in Port Angeles. I am looking to do some serious backcountry trips but the trailhead at quinault is a 3 hour drive. Where can I find info for shuttling around the park? Also looking to do a point to point on the coast probably from la push to the mouth of the hoh. Any info is much appreciated.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I don't understand your query. Are you interested in drop off services that will drive to trail heads and pick you up? Will you have a car? There is no shuttle service that runs through ONP as there is in parks likes Yosemite or Denali. In general, ONP has very limited services. The plus side is that it is uncrowded. There are several loops you could do that would get you back to where you parked your car. There is also the Clallam County bus system. There is a stop in LaPush right at the Quilleute village near First, Second, and Third Beaches.

You say that you want to do serious back country hiking. ONP is the place for it. Just be careful. Read the www.nps.gov descriptions of the trails and any cautions. Have you done much wilderness hiking?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

Yes have wilderness experience but not in this area. Mainly looking for a shuttle for trailheads in the lake quinault area. I can ride a bus to amanda park at lake q but from there it looks about 20+ miles to the trailheads. I'm looking to do a loop through enchanted valley up and over lacrosse pass into duckabush to six ridge trail to sundown lake back to where I start at Graves creek TH.

I'm thinking about 8-10 days. The concern is getting to and from this TH from the bus stop in amanda park on Lake Quinault.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I have to be honest, short of hitchhiking, it is going to be very tough to get to Graves Creek. I have done the Enchanted Valley a couple of times, and it is great. If I have this right you are trying to do everything by public transit? Otherwise like Kaleberg said with a car you could do a loop or or some great up and backs.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 22:13
Tulsa, Oklahoma
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I'm planning on not having a car for this. I have a buddy in Port A but I dont want to hassle him to do the drive (he's agreed to run shuttle off of hurricane ridge already for another loop) . Is this a hitch friendly area? Would starting from dosewallips be closer to PortA? My friend told me the road to DW Th was washed out though.

Also what about the coast? Are most multi day hikes out and backs?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

The road at the Dose is washed out which adds more walking on a gravel road. Too bad it was so great when you could drive to the beautiful trailhead. I have seen people hitch, but considering you are talking both ways you could be waiting a long time for a ride. My only thought is you might catch ride with other hikers going to Graves Creek, but it would be anyone's guess. I really think that you are going to need a car even though I know it sounds crazy to rent one to get to a trailhead.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I do not recommend your plan. What you want does not exist here. Hitching is probably safe, but it's not practical to depend on it to this extent. You definitely don't want to try to catch a ride a night. The roads can be very dark here, making hitchhiking at night difficult and even dangerous.

You can plan a multi-day coast hike, and it might even be possible to combine it with the Clallam Transit system, but please do more research. Start with the nps.gov site and check out some guide books. Loop trails are really your best bet. I assume you are doing the Obstruction Pt. Rd. to Deer Park hike? Is that the one where your friend will pick you up? It's a wonderful hike.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

Since it hasn't been expressly stated, the Gaves Cr. Rd. is also washed out about 6 miles from the CG and Trailhead.

Really you should arrange for a car, one way or another.

Please come and enjoy backpacking in the Olympics. It's one of the best ways to visit.

Enjoy your visit,

chuck

Tulsa, Oklahoma
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

I can talk him into a one way trip down to the southern part of the park either for drop off or pick up as he wants to get down that way sometime. Hitching is not optimal for sure and I would never think of doing it at night.

I'm just spitballin here I still have a month to plan this trip. This is probably goin to be my last big trip for a long time so I want to do it right.

What I would invision doing would be to build up by taking several trips of 4-5 days tthen one big one of 8-10 days. so please hit me with some local knowledge. Not asking to for you guys to give up your secret spots just some info on how to get deep into the park and away from the rv crowd.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

You do not have to hike very far to start seeing less and less people. I hadn't heard Graves Creek had washed out again. A Ranger had told me a couple of months ago it was ok When you say South end of Park are you talking about SE. You could still do the Doewallips. If he is dropping you off you can still hike past the road washout. I think it will add another 3 miles to the campground and the tailhead. Hike to Honeymoon Meadows, Anderson Pass and down into the Enchanted Valley is beautifull. The time I did it I went out to Graves Creek and had a car waiting at each end.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: backpacking onp: car shuttling to trailheads

My information about Graves Creek is old. Go with glaciermeadows' info which is usually better than mine anyway.

Looks like I need to plan a trip to Enchanted Valley this summer.

Cheeers.

chuck.