We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington Coast and Salmon

TtENNESSEE
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Washington Coast and Salmon

Got a motorcycle road trip planned for early September up the WASHINGTON coast thru the Hoh rainforest, up Whitby Island and north into Canada. This seems to be the time of year the salmon are running and I would really like to see them. Maybe at falls or a small stream, even a fish ladder below a dam. Any sugestions along my route.

Thanks

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

when you cross a bridge look down.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

Best place is on the road to Sol Duc Hot Springs. The road runs along the Sol Duc River, and there are several stunning overlooks by the side of the road where salmon can be seen leaping over the rapids. The Park has placed interpretive signs at the best viewing spots.

If you like, you could combine this with a hike to Sol Duc Falls, or, if you enjoy alpine views and don't mind climbing 1600 to 2300 feet, a hike up to Deer Lake and beyond to the Pot Holes.

Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, down the road from the salmon viewing stations, has simple accommodations, a plain but good restaurant, and a series of hot and cold swimming pools.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

Is September too soon? I know at the Quinault Fish Hatchery the salmon return between October and December.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

The salmon are often seen as early as August along the Sol Duc.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

Do include SoleDuc Falls if you are on the river Road. It is a pretty and easy walk and worth the time.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

On a cycle make sure you include Hurricane Ridge.

TtENNESSEE
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

Thanks a lot that sounds perfect. Dug out my national park map and there it was , salmon cascades, now if the salmon will cooperate.

Which rainforest is best, Hoh or Quinalt, Quinalt seems closer to the highway? Might save a few miles.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

nwlink.com/.../WhereView-WNW-SalmonLinks.html

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

yes, quinault is closer to 101, but while i enjoy hiking at quinault and it's beautiful, imo nothing compares to the hoh. well worth driving up into the park for imo.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington Coast and Salmon

There is not an answer for which is better. That is like saying what is better Venice or Paris.

Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park