We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Do in the Rain

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to Do in the Rain

Hi.

We'll be in PA from Thursday to Tuesday coming up, and the weather is looking more and more like rain.

Any suggestions as to what to do in the rain? We don't mind hiking in the rain, if there are things to see, so waterfalls are always a good idea. But if the visibillity stinks, we won;t be wanting to do many ridge walks., or even lakeside strolls can be really disappointing. (We once hiked at Acadia in the rain/fog and could see so little that when we finished two days of hiking, we went over to the visitors center to see pictures of where we had just been...)

All thoughts gratefully accepted.

THANKS

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
42 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Most of the time its not really raining hard here, it is just very misty. Hikes are very doable in these conditions and in fact the forest looks beautiful.

The Quinault rainforest has lots of ggod trails - temperate rainforest, streams, waterfalls and not very crowded.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Do in the Rain

i love hiking the hoh rainforest in the rain--usually under the trees, unless it's really pouring down, it's not bad at all and it's so atmospheric to have the ferns dripping--much more how it's meant to be seen and experienced than in dry conditions, imo. the things that you'd want to see on those trails (i.e., local flora and fauna) are right on/by the trails so visibility isn't an issue. last time out there, we saw an elk cow not more than a few feet off the spruce nature trail, one of the 2 short loop trails you can do right by the visitors center. both are worthwhile. the longer hoh river trail is great too--you can just go as far as you want depending on the conditions and turn around when you feel like it.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
42 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Do check the forecast for places just east of Stevens Pass or Snoqualmie Pass. There is a good chance it will be drier on the other side of the mountains.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Thanks --- but I dont know how the weather at Snoqualmie is going to do much to help me -- we will be in Port Angeles. Maybe I didnt explain.

I'd love to get some options on things to do around where we will be while it is raining.

Thanks

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Northwest -- we will have already spent a daydoing the 10 miles of hiking at the Hoh by the time we reach the rain in PA. We are trying to find activities for the time we will be in PA.

Thanks

Edited: 19 September 2010, 03:43
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Go to Hoh, then drive to La Push and Rialto Beach, I hiked both in the rain (and then again in the dry weather)...rain gives it a spooky feel. Enjoy and don't believe the weather guys, two days they predicted wrong last week.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Umm, I guess I'm not getting through to everyone.

We will have already stayed at LaPush and hiked the ocean and the rain forest BEFORE we get to Port Angeles.

So, we are looking for things to do in the area around PA for the part of our vacation that comes after we have already been to the western beaches and rain forest.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Do in the Rain

drive up to hurricane ridge, eat, go to port townsend and look at all the old houses and shop. go to the old fort by port townsend, an officer and a gentleman was filmed there.

Edited: 19 September 2010, 04:30
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Please don't take this wrong, but whatever the guide books and your own research produce as good ideas for you...just do them. Rain is just a frame of mind. If those of us in the Pacific NW let rain determine our lives, we'd stay indoors for 7 or 8 months of the year. Want to do it? Do it?

Wear rain clothes, leave the umbrella in the car and enjoy yourself.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to Do in the Rain

Nope, you just aren't getting through for some reason. You are absolutely right about hiking Hurricane Ridge in the rain/fog. Don't even think about it. If you survive the drive - and that fog can be really scary - you won't see a thing on the trail. As for Obstruction Point Rd., you would be courting suicide.

OK, now let's get more cheerful. The weather is predicted to clear up by Thursday. If that's the case, follow your original plans. Always check the www.nps.gov webcam at Hurricane Ridge. It's very common for it to be foggy or gray at sea level and clear and sunny up top.

If, unfortunately, the weather doesn't clear, try the following. The Spruce Railroad Trail is still enjoyable even in a light rain, and the latest pattern has been for it to be clearer on the eastern shore of Lake C than here in Port Angeles. I was there yesterday, and it was partly sunny and dry while PA was a damp, foggy mess.

Try for the Dungeness Spit. The usual pattern is for Sequim, which is where the Spit is, to be drier than PA. Sometimes you can comfortably hike the Spit when PA is raining. However, as I mentioned above, we are having an unusual weather pattern this fall with heavy fog that is actually worse to the east. If this is the case, you might be out of luck with the Spit.

Port Townsend might be the way to go for an interesting day trip. The Victorian architecture is beautiful, and there are lots of places to shop and eat.

If all else fails, head to Victoria. Butchart Gardens is great under any weather conditions.

I am so sorry that this long anticipated trip appears to fall during an atypical September. This year we are just not having our usual golden month.

Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park