We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

Sacramento...
4 posts
Save Topic
what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

We are a family of six with four children ages 16 to 23 visiting ONP.

I am trying to get a grasp of what to do and see.

We have three nights of tent camping and are coming from Portland on a Wednesday and need to be back to Astoria, WA on Saturday giving us 3 nights and 2 full days to explore.

I do not expect to see both sides of the park in this short of a trip. Where would make me want to come back more? East? West? North?

Any recommendations for campgrounds? On the west side Bogachiel campground looks good as it has showers and seems somewhat close to Forks (which sounds like it is somewhat central to the rain forest and the beach).

Is there anyplace to ride bicycles or is hiking the thing to do in ONP?

Any information/tips would be much appreciated.

When you look on Google maps ONP looks like an empty wasteland. After looking elsewhere I think we will be pleasantly surprised.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,003 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

Wasteland? That's the road map. Switch to Google Earth or better, Satellite.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

When are you talking about visiting? In Summer you have to take what you can get. Do you want mountains or do you want rainforest and wild beaches? Access to alpine areas on the westside can not be done as dayhikes. For that you need to be in the northern part of the park. Bogachiel is nice if you need showers. I would prefer the campground at the Hoh as that puts you right at a trailhead. Your other option would be Lake Quinault which is also rainforest and is about 30 miles from Ruby Beach.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

I would worry a bit about relying on Bogachiel. There is serious talk of closing the campground. Look at the www.nps.gov website for info about the park, and check out www.kaleberg.com for details about what to see in the northern half.

Call Adventures through Kayaking (888) 900-3015 about biking. In addition to wonderful sea kayaking trips they run adventure bike tours. We have a great bike trail that runs all the way from Lake Crescent - which you have to see - to the Elwha River.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

Kaleberg I am talking about Bogachiel State Park. Where did you hear they were closing it down?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

Glacier, there has been talk all year of closing Bogachiel State Park due to the state's budget problems. The mayor of Forks has made impassioned pleas to keep it open, and so far, the state has given it a reprieve. However, this park is so little used, and the state is in so much trouble, that the possibility of closure is very real. Anyone who is counting on it should maintain a plan B.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

We have friends who just spent a great little tenting vacation at Salt Creek on the north side (I think). Her photos were awesome. It was 3 single moms with 9 kids. It looked like there was a bit of sandy beach, rocky beach with tidepools and an island jaunt during low tide.

Sacramento...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

Thank you so much for the information thus far.

I am wondering if there are other campgrounds with showers or close access to showers? I have a 16yr old son and after hiking/biking it would be good to be able to freshen up.

We are coming for three weekday nights, Wednesday-Saturday, Aug 24-Aug 27, so we hopefully will miss most of the crowds.

It seems that the rain forests and beaches are unique to ONP so I'm thinking that would be a good sights to see for our first trip here. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

8. Re: what to do, where to camp, what to see..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park