We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

We will leave San Juan Island on Monday 9/5 for 5 nights exploration of Olympic National. My current thought was to include a stay at Lake Quinault? The morning of the 10th (10AM) we are picking up people at the Portland Airport and headed to Dundee for 2 nights to visit the wineries! I was planning a drive via Astoria.

How would the experts space out their locations to stay? Which route to drive (Couperville to Port Townsend)? Kaleberg, your website is extraordinary and I will be using it for detail hikes, wineries, beaches, etc for our overall excursions?

We have a pretty flexible budget! VRBO, B&B's or stay in Park accommodations?

Thanks for any input!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

The good, the bad and the ugly about Lake Sutherland:

The good: location is great. Lake S. is just down the road from the eastern shore of Lake Crescent. It's about 20 minutes west of Port Angeles. The sunny side of the lake, which is where your VRBO listing is located, is very sunny indeed. The water will be warm enough for swimming in early September.

The bad: Jet skis. You better love 'em, because you will hear them. All the time. I have acquaintances who had to sell their house on Lake Sutherland because they couldn't face the constant roar. Also, Lake Sutherland is heavily overbuilt, and the water often harbors duck itch. The reason for all this is that Lake Sutherland, unlike Lake Crescent, is not inside the park. It is thus free from the regulations that have kept Lake Crescent peaceful and pristine.

The ugly: the sunny side of Lake Sutherland is jam packed with cabins, houses, and cottages. They are right on top of each other in a double layer of overbuilding. It spoils what would otherwise be a beautiful lake.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

I remember the days when Lake Sutherland was only a handful of old cabins.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

Alas, Glacier, those days are long gone. Frankly, Lake S. is a mess. It's noisy and crowded in the summer and socked in with wood stove pollution in the winter. I hate what over development has done to what must have been a beautiful spot. Thank Heaven, Lake Crescent has been protected.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

I agree Kaleberg! Iit depreses me knowing what it used to be so I never look down anymore when I pass by.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 00:46
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

Depressing, pollution, noisy, messy, jam packed: What's not too love?

Okay who am I too disagree? Plan A it is and our own personal "mess" of room musical beds in the "serenity, fresh air, lively, clean, open spaces" of the National Park proper. Damn the torpedoes, there probably is a U-Boat cruising around in Lake Sutherland!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

You're my kind of poster!

17. Re: Suggested Itinerary 5 Nights = 9/5 to 9/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park