We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking weekend this August or September

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking weekend this August or September

Hi all,

I am planning a hiking trip at the Olympic Mountain in August/September with a group of friends(~6-8people). Does anyone know any cabin around that is close to the hiking trail? Also, does anyone know any 6-8 miles hike there?

Thanks in advance.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking weekend this August or September

When you think of cabins near a hiking trail you need to think a little out of the box. You are not going to find a cabin large enough for that many people. You will also need to think in terms of rentals in a resort area like Lake Quinault or in a town like Forks. People in isolated areas in the woods do not rent out their cabins. Also remember a lot of owners rent for no less than a week. So do not think in terms of 8 people cheaply staying in a rustic cabin cheaply. You really need to decide what kind of hike you want and how far you want to go. Rainforest river valley, ocean beaches or sub alpine. is that 8miles one way? What kind of elevation gain. If you can find cabins still available, for instance you may want to consider staying at SolDuc Hot Springs and hiking up to Deer Lake and the Potholes. If you hike in sub alpine areas realize bugs bother some people, so September may be better. Give us more info on what kind of hike you are looking for.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking weekend this August or September

There is no Olympic Mountain. There is a Mt. Olympus in Olympic National Park, but hiking there is for experienced, expert climbers only. Please tell us what you mean by Olympic Mountain and "the hiking trail." I want to help, but I have no idea what you are talking about based on your post.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking weekend this August or September

Thanks glaciermeadows and kaleberg,

Sorry, I used the wrong term. I mean I am planning a trip to go to Olympic National Park.

I am planning to leave Seattle on Friday and back on Sunday. Probably a 6-8 mile hike on Saturday just for fun. None of us are experienced hikers, but will go for short hiking trips on the weekends during the summer. If time allows, I would like to hike somewhere close by the cabin(if we can find one) on Friday and Sunday.

How far away from Forks to the the Olympic National Park?

How

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking weekend this August or September

BonP, I am trying to remain patient, but you are in over your head. There is no way to answer your questions because you have not done your homework about ONP. There is no entrance to ONP. The park covers most of the enormous Olympic Peninsula. The road to access it runs inland around the peninsula, and there are are many entrance points, not one. You do not enter this park and then drive through it. You drive around the park and enter each individual site in the park. You need to get a book and read up on this park, or you need to read the information on the www.nps.gov website carefully. Decide which part of the park you want to visit, and then write in to TripAdvisor.

I own a rental cottage inside the park, and I know most of the owners of the very few other rentals inside the park. None of us will rent for 2 nights in high season, not because we are obnoxious, but because it does not make economic sense. There are perfectly good motels in Forks, Port Angeles, and Lake Quinault.

Believe it or not, I would actually like to help you have an unforgettably wonderful hike. But you must do a little homework first. Also, what kind of a hike do you and your friends want to do? Can they ascend 1600 feet? How about 2400 feet?

5. Re: Hiking weekend this August or September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:17