We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nites in ONP

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 nites in ONP

Hello. we are 2 adults, a 16 year old and a 13 year old traveling during the last 2 weeks in August. I'm a bit late in the planning but It looks like we will stay in ONP for 4 nites before heading south along the coast toward the oregon dunes and ending in Portland. It will be a 10-11 day trip. It looks like Port Angeles might be a good location to settle in for 4 nites and explore this incredible place. Is that what you would recommend? We have never been to this area before and there is much to explore. We are coming from New york and will be staying in hotels. Thanks so much!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nites in ONP

Lake Crescent Lodge would be the best choice if you can get in. You could also look into VRBO for a rental in the following areas: Lake Crescent, Place Road near Port Angeles (only if you can get one of the houses right on the beach), Freshwater Bay, and Lake Dawn. Unfortunately, in August, most rentals will be restricted to a week. Port Angeles works as a base, but the hotels are relatively plain, and you will have to do a lot of driving to get to places like the Hoh Rain Forest.

Take a look at www.kaleberg.com at the ONP section. There you will find detailed descriptions of day hikes, maps, and tide tables. Look at Hurricane Ridge, Klahane Ridge, Lake Angeles,Obstruction Point Road, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc Valley (Deer Lake and the Potholes), Second Beach, Rialto Beach, Cape Alava, and the Hoh Rain Forest.

Late August is the perfect time to hike all these lovely trails. Once you get a few ideas, write back.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nites in ONP

Accomodations are going quickly, so PA will provide the most options. It is a good base for exploring the park.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nites in ONP

I would spend two nights in Port Angeles and two nights at Lake Quinault. I agree if you can get a place at Lake Crescent that would be preferable to Port Angeles. Lake Quinault is surrounded by rainforest and has lots of great walks in a relatively small area in one of the world's most beautiful forests. It is also only a 30 minute drive to lovely Ruby Beach for a sunset. Google Quinault Rainforest for options on places to stay. I know all of them if you decide on spending time there. It also sets you up for then heading to the Oregon Coast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nites in ONP

Thanks for all of your responses. I haven't been able to reserve at crescent lodge but here is what I have--can you please help with some lodging decisions? Again it's myself and my husband-a 16 year old and a 13 year old. I'm deciding between the Olympic lodge and the Red lion Hotel for the first 2 nights..at red lion we have a waterfront room, 2 queen bed room--a bit pricey, they call it premium. I also have reservations for those two nights at the Olympic lodge, also 2 queens, patio on golf course, mountain view. which do I cancel?

For the next 2 nites I have a reservation at the Quillayute river resort. Sounds like a lovely suite, corner cabin on the river but I could reserve a partial view first floor 2 bedroom suite in the thunderbird part of the motel at Quillayute oceanside resort. thats a cancellation fee so I'm looking for advise on which to reserve. the ocenaside resort does have a king bed, one bedroom cabin available but then no beds for the teenagers. any thoughts on that from someone who has been there.? Thanks TA

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nites in ONP

You have a tradeoff in Port Angeles between location and efficiency. The Red Lion has by far the better location. Not only are you right on the water, you can walk to many restaurants, the handsome new waterfront trail, the bookstore, the pier, and the movie theater. On the other hand, the Olympic Lodge has a more efficient staff and better rooms. For comfort, OL takes the palm. However, it is located in an unattractive mini-strip mall, and you would have to drive to everything. PA is small enough that you would not have to drive far, but it is nice to be able to walk out of a hotel into a food and shopping area.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nites in ONP

I hate the location of the Olympic Suites, but I have never stayed there and Kaleberg speaks highly of it. Your question about the Ocean is harder to answer. Oceanside is nice being so close to the Ocean, but if the kids have no beds? Did you ask them about a possibility of a rolling bed or cot? Being on the river is pretty nice. Oceanside will be very busy in August. Only my preference, but I would favor a less crowded and quieter experience on the River.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nites in ONP

no roll away or cot in the 1 bedroom at oceanside but we could get a ground floor partial ocean view in their motel. maybe the river is better? I know-apples/oranges.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nites in ONP

The motel is pretty nice. It will be busier at Oceanside and you have kids, so that may not bother you. From Oceanside you can walk right to the beach. I only go to these places in the off season when no one is around so hard for me to be ojective. You and your kids may prefer acess to and walking along the beach. The River Resort means hanging out on their section of the river or walking along the road. Coming from NY go for being right on the Ocean just realize there will be more people coming and going.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nites in ONP

Just to be clear, I don't think highly of the Olympic Lodge in PA. I regard it as the best of a mediocre lot, and I heartily agree with Glaciermeadow about the ugly location. I stayed there for almost two weeks when I had my floors put in, and I was comfortable. Everything worked. The place was clean, and the desk staff were very competent. The criticism I have heard about the Red Lion was that it had insufficient staffing levels. Sadly, I have also heard bad things about their restaurant, but I cannot vouch for this based on my own experience. The truth about Port Angeles is that it could be a really nice place to stay if only it could attract one single 3 star level hotel.

10. Re: 4 nites in ONP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:17