We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

d p
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

...and help me fill in details.

Sat: 2PM drive from Seattle airport to Red Lion, Port Angeles

Sun: morning - Sol Duc Falls; afternoon - Hurricane Ridge

Mon: morning - rafting on Hoh; afternoon - beaches

Tue: morning - drive to Paradise Inn at Rainier; afternoon: hike around Paradise

Wed: drive to Sunrise and back (Grove of the patriarchs + hiking trails along the way)

Thu: more hikes around Paradise (e.g., Christine Falls, Narada Falls)

Fri: early morning drive to Mt. St. Helens; reach Seattle airport by 9PM

We are going to be there next month. Is the itinerary above practical? We have 4 kids in our group ranging from 9 to 16, all fairly enthusiastic about hiking.

What place/places would you recommend for our time in coastal Olympic? I would also appreciate hike suggestions for both parks. Is our last day (drive from Paradise to Mt. St. Helens; explore Mt. St. Helens; drive to Seattle airport) too tight? Would it be a better idea to visit Mt. St. Helens on Tuesday when we are driving from Port Angeles to Paradise Inn?

Thanks in advance.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

Your visit to Olympic is a little brief IMO. It is a huge Park. You are not giving yourself much time there. Adding Mt. St. Helens on at the end for me would be a bit too much for me.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

Have you made reservations for Paradise Inn? When are you making this trip? Unless it is in late July or August there is likely to still be snow in many parts of Mt. Rainier.

I agree with glaciermeadows, you are not giving yourself enough time in ONP.

Driving from Mt. Rainier to Mt. St. Helens and back to catch a flight from SeaTac, way too much for one day. You must drive all the way from Mt. Rainier back to I-5,(don't even think about taking the road from Randle to Mt. St. Helens, it's a Forest Service Rd and not tourist friendly) You must go south to exit 49 - the round trip drive from here to Johnston Ridge Observatory and return takes a minimum of 3 hours. When you get back to exit 49 you will still be 2 hours away from the airport. Friday evening traffic on I-5 can be VERY SLOW.

d p
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

Glaciermeadows & Kitters,

Thanks for your suggestions. Based on what you said, I am cutting out Mt. St. Helens from our itinerary. We do have reservations at Paradise Inn. I am going to check if we can extend our stay in ONP by a day.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

If you add a day to Olympic get back to us for suggestions.

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
205 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

When you go to the ONP beaches - check out Second Beach off 110 towards La Push. Bit of a hike (think it's about 2 miles) to the beach but well worth it. nps.gov/olym/…second-beach-trail.htm

6. Re: Olympic & Rainier itinerary -- please suggest changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:16