We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

I know we are way late on this, but we have just decided we would like to visit ONP in August - we are two couples and ideally would like a cabin/ home where we could cook some meals. However, our main priorities are hiking, seeing the natural beauty, and relaxing.

I noticed in an old thread that there are very few rentals in the park due to national park restrictions (thank you kaleberg for your great explanation on this and many other topics!). We found some rooms at lake quinault lodge, a bit more than we want to spend but might go for it if the opinions of this esteemed group are raves. Are they?

We also found a lovely home in Brinnon. It looks great but I fear is too far to drive to the park much, agreed?

Anyone know of areas to rent in that are park accessible? (And yes, I have read about the conveniences and also the caveats re Forks...)

Thanks in advance!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

If you can get into Lake Quinalt Lodge, go for it. Barring that, I would choose Port Angeles, Port Townsend, or Sequim before I would consider Brinnon.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

When in August, Richelsb? Don't go to Brinnon! Either Lake Q or a rental would be what you want.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

Oh so that is clear about Brinnon, thank you!

We can go mid-August - ideally 13 or 14 for 5 days to a week. Any ideas for rentals ?? Thank you all again!

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

also, Bob, can you say a bit more about Lake Q??

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

Check out VRBO. Look at the following areas: Lake Dawn, which is right at the foot of Hurricane Ridge, or the beach at Place Road just west of Port Angeles, a lovely beach community at the mouth of the Elwha River. Usually, I would suggest looking at Lake Crescent, but the few rentals there are long booked for mid-August. If the noise of jet skis does not bother you, you can also look for a rental at Lake Sutherland, but be warned that there are a LOT of jet skis. Finally, email Glaciermeadow or check his posts for rentals in the Forks area.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

Well I for one love Lake Quinault, but I do not go in August when it does get crowded. The problem is it is a bit isolated from the rest of the Park. If you do decide on Forks and are willing to eat in I can pass on some ideas. It is getting late for finding places to stay in the most popular month. Let me know if you want to consider the Forks area. Check out Cabins at Beaver Creek.

PA
Level Contributor
224 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

glaciermeadows - I would love to hear your suggestions for Forks. We are in a similar predicament as richelsb. This is a very last minute trip for us and I'm really not sure what we're going to do about lodging! We just booked airfare a few days ago.

Lodging needs to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children and have a kitchen so we can cook in (due to food allergies/Celiac disease). Thanks for any suggestions!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

glaciermeadow is far more qualified to comment on Lake Quinalt than am I, because he lives in the area. All I can tell you from my experiences as a visitor is that the lodge and dining room are delightful, the nearby trails are magnificent, and it is a good base for exploring the western edge of ONP. It is a National Park Service operation, managed by Aramark.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

I will get back to you latter. I am making some calls latter myself for the Fall.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake quinault or other suggestions to stay?

I am willing to look at forks but have some questions: when you say it is "dreary" are you mainly referring to the lack of amenities such as restaurants, shops, etc. or is it more that it is gray and dark, moreso than the rest of the area? Maybe a silly question since the peninsula is a rain forest, but since I am from Southern California, I don't know what to expect. Also, it sounds like you feel that forks is better located with greater proximity to sights and hiking than, say, lake quinault, correct?

Any suggestions, glaciermeadows, about forks are very welcome and appreciated, both to myself and livetotravel!