We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

we are trying to coordinate an ONP trip in August with two friends (i.e. two couples, in our sixties, traveling together...).

We want to stop in PA for a day and night between Seattle and Lake Quinault. Our friends want to stop in PT.

we are trying to figure out if we need to rent two cars - we would rather not - or if there is another from of transportation between PT and PA so that they could join us in PA and we could drive to Lake Q together. Any ideas??

It feels a bit like a riddle ;-)

Thank you!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

Honestly, a car is your best choice. You'll burn too much time trying to arrange to coordinate with County Transits or, say, the Dungeness Line.

www.olympicbuslines.com/?p=article&id=3

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

Thanks, Pala - I suspected that was the case. Now we are seeing that rental cars are super expensive from Seattle (we've checked Sea-Tec and other locations)! Do you know any bargain rental places?

Thanks again!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

I'd go to Port Townsend with them.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

I agree with ainwa, Port Townsend has more interesting accommodations anyhow.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

Yes, there is no doubt that PT has more and better lodging choices than Port Angeles, unless, perhaps, you count Colette's and Domaine Madeleine, both of which are gorgeous B&Bs near PA. PT is also a much prettier town than Port Angeles. However, if the OP wants to see Lake Crescent, Hurricane Ridge, or Sol Duc Falls, she needs to stay in Port Angeles, not PT. It all depends on her plans.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

Rachel my question is are your friends interested in doing the same things you are around Port Angeles? If you want to do some hikes, and they want something else then the answer may not be that simple.

7. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 02:52
Edited: 01 July 2013, 02:52
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

Staying in PT will add an hour to your day the following day. So it depends on your plans.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

So yes, that is the rub! I do want to hike Hurricane Ridge, Sol duc Falls etc...which is why we are going to PA. I agree that PT is probably more interesting etc....but worth skipping those hikes? At this point, our friends are on board with PA and the hikes, and this way we can do it with one car...but the info about PA is helpful and we may still re-think. Thank you all, again.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Angeles/Port Townsend, ferries, cars, two couples!

If you are going to the Olympic Peninsula to see Olympic National Park, see the park. That means staying in PA or west of PA. Although PA, in essence, is a rough-around-the-edges working class town, it has some good restaurants, two nice wine bars, several brew pubs, and a very pretty setting right on the water at the foot of Hurricane Ridge. Unfortunately, its hotels are of the two star level at best, and lacking in charm. However, the Olympic Lodge is clean, comfortable, and well run. The Days Inn is slightly more basic but also a comfortable place to stay.