We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help for ONP

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help for ONP

We have 4 nights in Olympic national park at the beginning of August. We will be coming from Rainer and upon leaving the park heading to North Cascades. We enjoy short hikes (have a 7 year old with us). We don't mind staying in multiple locations. What would be the best route/itinerary in order to maximize our time in the park?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

4 nights will give you enough time to see the three different ecosystems that make ONP so unusual: the mountains, the beaches, and the rain forests. Plan to include at least the following: Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc Falls, Rialto Beach, Second Beach, and the Hoh Rain Forest. Since you do not mind staying in different places, consider a night at Lake Quinault Lodge so that you can also see the Quniault Rain Forest. All of this will give you a taste of the wonders of ONP.

You need to move fast on booking lodging. It is limited near the park, and August is the most visited month. Write back when you have looked into some of these destinations for suggestions about places to stay.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

From Rainier head first for Quinault. The best place for short walks in a rainforest at Olympic. Google Quinault Rainforest. Book now. Forks is best for the Northern beaches and the Hoh Rainforest. Google Forks Chamber of Commerce. Then Port Angeles for Sol Duc Falls, Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge. Two nights in either Quinault or Port Angeles. Really depends on what you want to see and do. Port Angeles will give you more things to choose from. Quinault is all about its rainforest.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 04:51
Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

There is a room available at the Quillayute River Resort (near Forks) for the 2nd night and looks like I can get a room at the Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles for the last two nights. Are these okay places to stay? However, Lake Quinalt Lodge is booked for the first night we will be there. What other options do I have there? Thank you so much for your input. You have been very helpful already.

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

Another option in Forks is the Huckleberry Lodge Cabins....are you familiar with this vs. the Quilayute River Resort?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

I have been recommending Huckelberry Lodge for a couple of years now. I have stayed there a couple of times. I like the cabins they are quite cozey. They are 5 minutes from the middle of Forks, but in a very private setting at the end of a quiet rural road. Covered area for grilling and campfires. This is a plus since Forks lacks decent food. The biggest difference is the River Resort is close to the Ocean and sits on a river. Tough choice, if location is not an issue isn't Huckelberry cheaper?

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

Yes, the Huckleberry Lodge is cheaper. I think I will go with that. It looks quiet and cozy. Any suggestions for the Quinalt area given that Lake Quinalt Lodge is booked?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

Start with Quinault River Inn. Then try Locherie Resort. Or Lake Quinault Inn. Other option Rainforest Resort. Google Quinault Rainforest for their numbers.

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

I have confirmed reservations for one night in Forks and two nights in Port Angeles. Unfortunately, I can't come up with anything for the first night in Quinault. I have checked all the suggested lodges/resorts, I've looked into cabins and also home rentals and can't seem to come up with any availability for this particular night. Unfortunately, it happens to be a Friday night, and I know that doesn't help. Any suggestions for a plan B for the first night?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

You will not be at Quinault around the 13th or 14th are you? Give me your itinerary. Not knowing your plan makes it hard to advise. Guessing what you are doing, you could drive to Aberdeen from Rainier and stay in a motel. Then get up early and spend the day at Quinault and then spend your evening in Forks. Not the best of plans, as of course you really want to stay in Quinault and Aberdeen is not very nice. There is a motel in the small town of Montesano before Aberdeen. You may just want to add a day around Forks.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 05:24
Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help for ONP

Our itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Portland

Day 2: Mt. St. Helen

Day 3 - 5 : Mt. Rainier (Staying in Ashford)

Day 6 - Great Wolf Lodge water park (for my daughter)

Day 7: stay in Quinault

Day 8: stay in Forks (Hoh Rainforest, and a beach)

Day 9 -10 : stay in Port Angeles (Sol Duc Falls, Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge)

Day 11-14: North Cascades (no specific plans for these days yet...working on that this week)

Day 15: Fly out of Seattle

The night in Quinault is Friday, August 2