We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

Will be visiting ONP in 2 weeks. Please advise if it's better to go straight to Hurricane Ridge the first day or go to our first lodging Log Cabin Resort on Crescent Lake first and then head back east to Hurricane. Also, what's a good place to pick up some lunch to pack for the hike? Will be traveling with 2 young adult sons. Staying 2 nights at the Log Cabin Resort, then 3 nights at the Boogie bungalow. Itinerary recommendations welcome!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

It really depends on how much time you want to spend on the Ridge and what time you are getting there. I would go straight to the Ridge. There will be so many people and cars parked around yours your luggage should be safe. No reason to waste time backtracking. They have great sandwiches to go at Sunny Farms which is on the West End of Sequim. You will drive right by it. Also great produce. Bring a cheap cooler or buy one in Sequim. They have ice. There is a Safeway if you want anything that Sunny Farms does not have.

Let us know what you think of Log Cabin. I have not stayed there in about 25 years. Also let me know what you think of Boggie Bungalow. I recommend it to people and I like it.

From the Resort you want to visit Sol Duc Falls, Marymere Falls and Spruce Railroad Trail. Keep going past the Resort to the end of the road to get to the trailhead. The last time I was at the Sol Duc there were steelhead jumping Cascade Falls. You will see the sign. You can hike above Sol Duc Falls to Deer Lake if you want to spend a good part of a day. The hike is pretty even if you do not go all the way to the Lake. Go to Washington Trail Association for a description of the hike.

From the Bungalow spend a day at the Hoh Rainforest and a day at Rialto and Second Beach. Make sure you catch a sunset at Rialto. You can barbecue at the Bungalow. There is a Thriftway in Forks. On the way to Rialto Beach you will pass by Three Rivers Resort which has good burgers and shakes. I was there on Wednesday for a malt.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

Excellent advice from Glaciermeadow. I, too, would head straight up to Hurricane Ridge. That parking lot is possibly the safest in the state.

I am also curious about Log Cabin Resort. For some years it was falling into disrepair and becoming rather seedy. There are now new managers who really seem to be sprucing the place up. It would be great to see LCR becoming a good place to stay again. It has a stunning location.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

Thank you, Glaciermeadows & Kaleberg! Will head straight for Hurricane Ridge then! Was leaning that way; great to get confirmation from you experts! The trails around Sol Duc Glaciermedows suggested I have not considered before, will definitely look into it! And thanks for the hints about shopping and eating places. Reading about how bad the food is inside ONP got me concerned about it :)

Will report back about experience at Log Cabin Resort and the Boogie Bungalow. The owner of the Bungalow has been most helpful with information and is a pleasure to work with. With the Log Cabin Resort you're dealing with an office. In any case, the real points go to the staying experience, and we shall see!

Thanks again for your help!

4. Re: Better to hike Hurricane Ridge first or go to resort first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:18