We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Hi all,

First, thanks in advance for your time and feedback! As part of a larger trip to Seattle and Glacier National Park, my boyfriend and I will be spending 3 days/nights in Olympic National Park. We are staying at a cabin at Lochaerie. I wanted to ask for some feedback for our proposed itinerary to make sure we aren't missing anything.

7/25

Arrive at Lochaerie

7/26

Explore beaches: Second, Rialto, Shi Shi, Ruby

7/27

Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge. Sol Doc Falls

7/28

Quinalt Rainforest

Drive back to Seattle to Amtrak station

Thanks again!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

I like staying at the cabins at Lochaerie, but keep in mind you are a good distance from your other destinations. Ruby Beach can be visited easily from Quinault as can Third Beach. Third beach gets nice as you get around the point to your right at the bottom of the trail. I would skip Shi Shi. It is a long drive from Quinault and then a bit of an effort to get to the beach. If the small parking lot is full, you have to pay for parking on private property and just walk that much farther. Do not shortchange the Quinault Valley it is gorgeous and there are so many great walks for exploring. It is kind of too bad that you can not change your schedule, so that you could visit Hurricane Ridge on your way to or from Lochaerie. You have a lot of back and forth driving, which gives you less time for hiking.

My recommendation would be to skip Shi Shi and visit Hurricane Ridge and Sol Duc Falls one day and catch a sunset at Ruby. Then another day visit the Hoh and Second and or Rialto Beach.

I am leaving for San Juan Island in three hours if you have any follow up questions before I leave. Also make sure if you are cooking at the cabin that you shop for food before you get there. Abedeen will be your last chance. Quinault is like convenience general stores.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 17:11
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Thanks for your reply! I could definitely stop at Hurricane Ridge on the way to Lochaerie. My schedule is not set in stone for each day, it was just a starting place for planning what we might do each day. Also what you said about the beaches makes a lot of sense. Less driving time is always better!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Where are you starting from, Seattle DT or the airport? Depending on time of day or what day of the week you can go to Port Angeles by way of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to avoid the ferry. Given enough time you could stop at Hurricane Ridge and Sol Duc Falls on your way to Lochaerie. Driving time is a key so you leave time to stay in one place and make the best of a spectacular spot. If you like to hike drive to the end of the South Shore Road (it connects to the North Shore Road where Lochaerie Resort is) to the end of the road. Much of this is gravel, and only rough towards the end. Walk 2.5 miles to Pony Creek. Lovely Spot and you are walking and driving thru rainforest. Also walk to the giant 1000 year old cedar just up the road from you (there is a sign). I always drive the North Shore Road at dusk and dawn. There is a large meadow at the end where it intersects with the South Shore Road via a bridge. I almost always see elk there including this last 4th of July. Also look in the maple glades where it is open. Seems hard to believe, but their light colored buts s whatwill give them awy in all of the camouflage. The walk near the cabins behind the Ranger Station Called Maple Glades is also very pretty. It is in beautiful contrast to the rest of the rainforest and great for photography. Make sure if you do not have dinner at the Lodge that you have breakfast at least once. Lovely setting and they have good eggs benedict and Great pancakes. You can visit the Lodge's fantastic Lobby without staying there ! Try and catch a low tide at Ruby for tidepools. Very special!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Your schedule is not just ill-advised; it is all but impossible. You cannot reach Shi Shi, Ruby, Second, and Rialto in one day. Not only are these beaches far apart, but some of them require a hike to get down to the water. It takes an hour just to hike down to Shi Shi from the trail head. You also have to get a permit from the Makah. It takes 20 minutes to reach Second Beach from the trail head, and it is only worthwhile visiting Second around low tide because its most fascinating features are covered during higher tides.

Your second day is even worse. The Hoh RF is 2 hours and 45 minutes from the summit of Hurricane Ridge. Surely, you would want to do more than catch the view from the parking lot. It would be a shame not to hike the Hurricane Hill Trail. I don't even want to think about driving back to Lake Quinault from HR after a long day of hiking. The Hoh Rain Forest is one of the wonders of the world. Try to set up your schedule so you can spend at least a half day there. The 10 hour round trip hike to 5 Mile Island is unforgettably beautiful and so different from anything else you ever see.

I hope you will take my comments and Glaciermeadow's to heart and rethink this itinerary completely. These beautiful, wild places are not something to check off on a list. You must get out and walk among them to experience them in any meaningful way.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Alright, it seems that advice is being served with a side of judgment, but I can take it. It seems I did not educate myself enough before proposing an itinerary. However, it is unlikely that I will make it to this part of the world again, so I do want to make sure I can see and enjoy what I can while I am there.

That said, please let me know what you think of my new itinerary below. I tried to take into account your sage advice.

7/25

Drive from North Bend

Hurricane Ridge, Sol Duc Falls

Arrive at Lochaerie

7/26

Explore Quinalt area, Ruby Beach sunset

7/27

Hoh Rainforest, Second and/or Rialto Beach

7/28

Open morning

Drive back to Seattle

Again, I really do appreciate your time and feedback.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

North Bend to the summit of Hurricane Ridge will take you, best case, about 3 and a half hours. Sol Duc Falls to Lochaerie will take about 2 and a half hours, best case. The summit of Hurricane Ridge to Sol Duc Falls will take you 2 hours, best case. 8 hours in the car, best case. If you get stuck behind an overwhelmed tourist driving an RV for the first time, it could take longer.

Low tide at LaPush on 7/27 is 10:35 am. It is -0.19 feet, an excellent low tide.

Level Contributor
26 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

I am headed out in September.

I am hoping to wake up in Fairholm the first morning, spend the day working my way to Kalaloch, and then departing for Cougar Rock (Mt Rainier) mid-day.

This is my first visit to the area and like you, I am dealing with time and financial limitations. As is, I am spending over 2 weeks and trying to hit everything I can while living on a budget.

Hopefully I will be able to afford to return and spend more time soaking in the finer points some time in the future.

The point of this whole rant - I would love to hear how your trip works out. Good luck, and I hope it is amazing. Please share your thoughts when you return if you could. It will really help me plan.

Thanks!

Port Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Greetings, I live on the Olympic peninsula and love all the places you have mentioned. You second itinerary looks better and almost doable. I wonder if you just want to "see" the sights or experience them?

Day 1, I would skip sol duc. Yes you miss the hot springs, but everything else you could enjoy in Hoh or Quinault. Be prepared for a long drive, road construction and lower speed limits.on day 1, you should spend a moment on lake crescent.

Also many of the beaches are similar, so I wouldn't go for quantity, but quality time at one.

Whatever you do, it's all good!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

Thank you all for your feedback. I will consider all that you said. What I had put together was a tentative plan of what we might do, and I'm sure we'll end up playing a lot of it by ear and end up spending more time in some places and skipping other things altogether. I am not someone just checking things off the list; I just don't know a lot about the area and what would be the best plan for (the limited duration of) my trip. That is why I went to this forum :)

One final question, do you happen to know what is the best driving route from North Bend to ONP, specifically to Hurricane Ridge? Thanks again!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback needed on 3-day itinerary

North Bend to downtown Seattle, Bainbridge Ferry, Hood Canal Bridge, 101 to PA.

Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park