We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Beach La Push - Early September

11 posts
Save Topic
Second Beach La Push - Early September

This will my first trip out to the ONP and I'd really love to see some of the spectacular places along the coast.

I'm wondering, both tide- and weather-wise, if a trip in the first week of September would be a good idea.

I'm looking at the tide tables (and sunrise/sunset) and things aren't looking all that ideal.

There's a .4' low tide on Sat, Sept 7th (at 8:16 am) and a 3' low tide on Sep 1st (at 4:42 PM).

Should I try for the early morning on the 7th? And with sunrise at 6:44AM is this a good idea?

Most places have recommended arriving half an hour before low tide, which would be at 7:46 AM.

How difficult would it be to get to Second beach right after dawn and what would the weather conditions be like?

Also, are there any creeks to cross?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

:Neil

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

My tide tables give slightly different results. If you want to see a really good low tide, Sept. 7 is better. I have the tide at .11 feet, which is pretty good. If you showed up at 7:30 am, you could easily get to the beach before low tide and enjoy the exposed tide pools. However, LaPush is roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes from Port Angels and 30 minutes from Forks. If you could stay in LaPush, it would be ideal. Forks would work, too.

To reach Second Beach, you hike through a very shady forest for 20 minutes. Obviously, you do not want to do this in the dark. By 7:30 am you should have no trouble, but do not try the trail before dawn. Weather in September is usually the best of the year: sunny, dry, and pleasantly cool. Even though Second Beach is not as foggy as Rialto Beach, it could still get misty right around dawn. Wait and go around 7:30.

There is one very small stream to cross. It is on the beach itself, flowing down to the sea, and you must cross it to reach the hidden coves and the sea cave. It is nothing to worry about, and in September, its flow will be reduced. You can often hop over it. Wading is also easy.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

Just be aware the Ocean beaches have been overcast for the last few days. I was just there. September is a great time to visit, but there is no guarantee it will be sunny. Just so you are not surprised. Again there is also a good chance you will get sun.

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the weather!

And my fingers crossed.

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

Wow. Thanks for all of the info!

With all this in mind, when would be a good time to start heading back from the beach after low tide?

Are there any places that will be difficult to negotiate once the tide starts coming in?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what resource do you use for the tide tables?

I've seen them available in a few different places, so I don't quite have a good feel for which are the most accurate.

Thanks again!

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

One other question... is the trailhead fairly easy to locate?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

The trail head is right down and across the road from the Quilleute reservation. You will see the signs and the parking lot. You need have no fear of being cut off by the tide; the Second Beach hike is safe. You can tell when the water is starting to come in, and it is easy to turn around and head back. The water doesn't rush in or anything. It's not like the Bay of Fundy. Of the more popular beach hikes, only Cape Alava represents any danger of being cut off by the tide, and that is mainly because you have to clamber on slippery rocks to get around the headlands.

I used the open source Xtide program for the tide tables.

11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

Thanks again!

That's been a great help.

8. Re: Second Beach La Push - Early September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park