We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to ONP

Lake City, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to ONP

My Husband and I (late 40's) will be visiting our daughter in Seattle area the first week in October. We would like to take a trip to ONP while there. We are thinking two maybe three days in ONP. We would like to do short hikes Marymere falls Sol duc hot springs then one of the beaches. We are trying to figure out if we should drive the entire 101 loop or just do the stuff to the north and come back to seattle using the same route. Our Daughter lives north of seattle and we are going on the Edmonds/Kingston Ferry to reach the 101. Also there is not much lodging to choose from so I'm wondering if we stay in Port Angeles how long to say Ruby Beach and would we be able to visit the beach and return to Port Angeles or is that too far to drive in one day. Also if someone could let me know how the weather is in Oct. Thanks for your help

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,989 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to ONP

Please find a guidebook and do some reading about the park. Your post betrays some confusion about what and where things are. Sol Duc Hot Springs is not a hiking destination. It is a commercial establishment consisting of very simple cabins set around a parking lot. Water from the hot springs is piped into a set of swimming pools. You may be thinking of Sol Duc Falls, a beautiful gorge with a waterfall at the end of the Sol Duc Road. The trail head to Sol Duc Falls is a 10 minute drive from the Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort. It is a short distance, but it takes 10 minutes because you must drive very slowly through the camping areas there.

Ruby Beach is way too far from Port Angeles to visit as a day trip. The LaPush beaches, such as Rialto Beach and Second Beach, are about 1 hour and 20 minutes from PA. They are beautiful.

The first week of October usually has great weather, especially in the northern half of the park, which is where Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, LaPush, and the Sol Duc Valley are. As you go farther south toward Kalaloch, Ruby Beach, and Lake Quinault, the climate becomes wetter. The Hoh Rain Forest is on the border of the climate transition, but I have had some of my most beautiful hikes there in early October. The small maples beside the Hoh River flame into brilliant color, something that you usually do not see in Western WA.

Be prepared for fairly short days. No matter where you stay in and around ONP, you will have to drive a lot, but you don't want to be on dark, remote roads if you can avoid it.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to ONP

It really depends on how much of the Park you want to see. Weather is unpredictable that time of year. Generally and I say generally early October is better than latter. The Quinault and the Hoh are both rain forests and are called that for a reason. The good news is the weather can be good as Kaleberg says and quite frankly when it is the rainforests are more beautiful in October than in the Summer. If money is not an issue I would consider 4 days and stay two days at Lake Crescent Lodge and two days at Lake Quinault Lodge. Fantastic locations and you can do some great walks right from the Lodges. If it does rain, Quinault Lodge is a wonderful place to relax, and the old growth forests can still be enjoyed when wet. There are also some very nice rentals in the area if you want to cook and have more privacy. It really depends on how much of the Park you want to experience. Some people GET what this place is about and others do not. That is why everyone always talks about Hurricane Ridge. Everyone understands a beautiful view that takes no effort to get to. If you want a variety of restaurants and things to do in the evening besides reading and the quiet of the Park then stay in Port Angeles. If you do not want to backtrack and want to be closer to wilderness then it is not where I would stay.

Lake City, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to ONP

Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to research this a lot more.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to ONP

i would consider staying in sequim or port angeles. although a long drive, i did do ruby beach from my base in sequim. (20 minutes closer to seattle....) I highly recommend http://www.dungenessbay.com/index.html these are duplex cottages right on the sound . I have been lucky enough to stay here twice. The sound views out the front and farm/cow and mountain views out the back. love it. it is close to hurricane ridge. it is about 2 hours? to ruby beach. leave early get to the beach then hit the rain forest on the way home.... it will be a long but beautiful day. You could stay in forks - there are a few places that get you close to Ruby and Rialto beaches....

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to ONP

There is no reason to drive all the way from Sequim to Rubby Beach and then back again. That is way too far! Once you decide on how many days you are staying and what you want to see, I can recommend at least a dozen places that I have stayed at personally that would make a better base. Do not spend half your time in the car driving back and forth to your accomodation.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,989 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to ONP

Glaciermeadows is right. Pal0242 has given very bad advice. Sequim is not a good base from which to visit most of the park. It is a great base for the Dungeness Spit, some of the Buckhorn Wilderness trails, and for the farms of the Dungeness Valley. The cottages Pal0242 references are 1 hour and 10 minutes from the summit of Hurricane Ridge. Staying in Sequim adds an extra 30 minutes each way to ONP visits - each way. There is too much driving involved in a visit to ONP to tack on another hour.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to ONP

guys i am not saying they have to do what i did, (i don't like moving around on vacation) i am saying it can be done- someone said it was too far it IS far but it IS doable that's it. i pointed out that they may want to stay in forks way more convenient but they don't have to if they don't want to. i WOULD choose to stay in sequim over port angeles IMO it is nicer. that simple. imo it wasn't bad advice it was merely information. it is doable but you might not want to do it given all the driving. There is a b&b near forks my friends just stayed at a few weeks ago don't recall the name and i stayed at the dew drop inn years ago when it was newer....

8. Re: Seattle to ONP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 06:21