We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

CA
9 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Hello,

we are travelling from Portland to Olympic NP next weekend( labor day weekend)and planning to spend 2 days in NP and planning to get camping experience at Forks. 2 days are not sufficient to explore Olympic NP but we don't have much in hand. so have come up with following plan. needs experts suggestions.

1. on Saturday early morning start from portland. 5 hr drive to port angels.( 2-3 drivers) have lunch and head to Hurricane hills and drive near hurricane ridge. in the evening visit sol duc water fall, on the way back lake crescent. and have dinner in Port angels and drive to Forks. I would like to know drive route from port angels to Forks. Can we cover these 3 places in 1 day? If we have to choose between sol duc and lake crescent which one we shall choose?

2. In fork, we are planning to stay in private campground at leyendecker rd forks wa 98331. this looks like new private campground, recently listed on VRBO site. so any idea about the camping experience? so far we have been to state park or national park camping site but never experience private campground. so suggestions/tip

3. on Sunday morning head to Hoh rain forst. ( 1 hr drive-40 miles). afternoon come back to forks. have lunch and then drive to cape flattery and shi shi beach. evening view sunset at Rialto beach ( 30 minutes from camp-ground).

4. On Monday drive to Seattle. 3 hrs drive. visit space needle and glass museum and drive back to portland. how is scenario of traffic in seattle city near to space needle on labor day? can we visit Mt. Rainier and have glimpse of wildflowers in this time period?

Thank you for your time.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Sorry this itinery is too crazy. Way way too much driving on the worst weekend of the year. You can not do the Hoh Rainforest and Shi Shi Beach in the same day. I have to be honest this trip is not very well planned. I know where Leyendecker Rd. is, but know nothing about this facility. If you already have this space reserved and you are determined to do this the best advise I can give you is spend your time at the Hoh and the nearby beaches. Forget about Hurricane Ridge, Seattle and Mt. Rainier.

CA
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Thank you for your inputs. I have no idea of traffic in that area. May be we will directly drive to Forks and spend time in Hoh rain forest one day. and next day to shi shi beach.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Remember there are great beaches much closer to where you are staying. I should not have said you can not do the Hoh and Shi Shi on one day, it just makes no sense. Why Shi Shi and not Second, Rialto or Cape Alava. Do you understand the drive to Shi Shi and trying to park near the trailhead on a busy weekend without a long walk? I would start doing more reading about this area before you set out!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,627 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Do not do Shi Shi Beach. As Glaciermeadow suggests, do Rialto Beach and Second Beach, both of which are in LaPush, close to Forks. Do not consider Cape Alava. It is dangerous to do the Cape Alava hike unless you plan it carefully according to the tides.

CA
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions. I think we will visit hoh rain forest on one day and next day we will visit Rialto beach and nearby to our campground area. It seems one river is very nearby.

I wanted to know about food options for vegetarian people nearby to fork or hoh rain forest or Rialto beach.

again thank you for your time.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Your best bet for food is going to be the grocery store.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,627 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

Vegetarian meals are very hard to come by once you get west of Port Angeles. Good vegetarian meals are impossible to come by once you get west of PA. Bring your own food.

8. Re: Itinerary 2 days_Olympic NP &camping in forks_needs input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park