We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

Just returned from a great trip out to the Pacific Northwest and wanted to thank everyone who helped me with planning. I wanted to share my itinerary/experiences in case anyone else is planning something similar. I am going to try to keep this brief but am happy to discuss any of these places in more detail as a follow-up:

Day 1 & 2: Seattle - did the Underground Tour (highly recommend), Pike Place market, Space Needle, Chihuly Museum

Dinner at Cascina Spinasse was outstanding

Day 3 & 4: Friday Harbor, stayed at the Trumpeter Inn which was a great place to stay. I think B&B's are the way to go out here as some of the motels we passed looked a little scary but don't know much about them. Did a whale watching tour with Maya (Captain Jim was excellent), dinner at the Place and Duck Soup Inn were ok but not great, hiked British Camp and American Camp, went out to Roche Harbor, played golf at a decent 9 hole course out there

Day 5: Took a day trip to Orcas Island - in my opinion this was well worth doing even though it added some travel. Incredible views from the top of Mt. Constitution

Day 6: Lake Crescent and stayed at Lake Crescent Lodge - probably some of the most beautiful scenary we saw driving into the area as well as the beautiful views from the hotel. Did some hiking on trails near the lodge which we really enjoyed

Day 7: Went up to Hurricane Ridge (may be easier to do this on the way to Lake Crescent as we had to backtrack a bit). Hurricane Ridge was definitely worth doing and was one of the highlights of our trip. The scenary and birds we saw were incredible. This is a must see. After this, drove up to Forks to spend the night. Stayed at the Misty Valley Inn which was comfortable but expect to consume around 5,000 calories a day if you stay here. Try not to spend too much time in Forks - its a pretty ugly town.

Day 8: Rialto Beach in the morning for the tide pools (make sure you go at low tide, pretty incredible stuff here). Then went to the Hoh Rainforest and stopped at several beaches along the way to Lake Quinault

Day 9, 10: Spent 2 nights at Lake Quinault. Stayed in a 'renovated' room which we were not impressed with (mystery stains on the sheets and towels, VERY noisy). The area is nice though and we enjoyed hiking on the trails there. They really try to push a paid rainforest tour there but it didnt seem that great and we enjoyed hiking on our own.

Day 10, 11: Went up to Mt. Rainier and stayed at the Paradise Lodge. Rainier is beautiful and one of the highlights of the trip next to Hurricane Ridge. Hiked near Paradise as well as Sunrise - enjoyed both. Back to Seattle and to a Mariners game

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Crescent Lake
Crescent Lake
604 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
883 Reviews
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
1,437 Reviews
Forks
Forks
Washington
Rialto Beach
Rialto Beach
539 Reviews
Rainier
Rainier
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

This was a very detailed and useful trip report. Thanks for writing, and it's great you had such a good time.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

For my info did you stay in the main Lodge at Quinault?

Mentioned in this post
Quinault
Quinault
Washington
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

Yes, we stayed at the main lodge (lake quinault lodge).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

Evan I always advise people to stay in the Lakefront rooms. The rooms are indeed more modern, some have been recently renovated, and the buiding is a lot newer thean the main Lodge. I have never found those rooms to be noisy. That being said there is no excuse for questionable laundry. That obviously could happen in either building.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

Evan's experience at Lake Quinault Lodge mirrors my own. I, like virtually all visitors, loved the old fashioned grandeur of the main public rooms. My suite, however, was dark, noisy, outdated, and not very clean or well kept. It had missing light bulbs, a so-so mattress, scratchy towels, and, worst of all, no curtains on the large window overlooking the lake. Since light poured into the room from the adjacent parking lot, sleep was impossible. During my visit, the entire Lodge appeared to be staffed by two hardworking but clearly overwhelmed teenage girls. I'm sure there must have been other staff somewhere, but they were not in sight.

Despite its setting and good bones, I cannot recommend the place. What it needs is better management and a thorough refurbishment of the rooms.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

Kaleberg am I wrong in that your desciption of your stay from a past post that you stayed in one the Boathouse Rooms and not the Main Lodge? Have you stayed in any of the Lakeside Rooms that I am talking about?

Edited: 04 September 2013, 22:15
7. Re: Trip report - Seattle / SJI / ONP / Mt. Rainier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:18