We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

Travelling to Portland and Seattle with husband (birthday gift) and college daughter (graduation gift). Flying in and out of PDX. Allotted 3 nights (2 Full days) in Seattle and 4 nights (3 full days) in ONP. From ONP will be heading south back to PDX. Want to do hiking and enjoy the beauty of ONP. Would like to see Hurricane Ridge, Lake Cresent, Marymere Falls,Rialto Beach, Sol Duc Falls, Hoh Rain Forest, and Lake Quinault. Does it make sense to stay 2 night in Port Angeles (VRBO Property) or Lake Cresent Lodge, 1 night in Fork or Sol Duc (SolDuc River Runs Through It) and 1 night in Quinault Lodge? Please help. Thank you!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

Don't stay in the Sol Duc Valley. You will gain no convenience from it, and it will add a lot of driving time to virtually every place you want to go. The very best lodging plan for you would be 3 nights in Lake Crescent Lodge and 1 night at Lake Quinault Lodge. Port Angeles' main benefits are its proximity to Hurricane Ridge, which starts virtually in town, and its many places to eat. Lake Crescent Lodge is 40 minutes farther from Hurricane Ridge, and it is 30 minutes from the restaurants of PA, but it is closer to everything else on your list. If you can manage that one extra 40 minute drive to Hurricane Ridge, and if you don't mind eating at the Lodge or driving to dinner, Lake Crescent Lodge is an ideal location. The lake is gorgeous, and Lake Crescent is the closest thing to a central location from which to explore the park.

Book now. Both lodges may already be full. If so, write back, and I'll talk about Plan B.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

Thank you for your feedback. That is really helpful.

Now I can focus on looking for lodging. You are right... Lake Cresent and Lake Quinault Lodge are fully booked. Is Rainforest Resort a good next option? Love to hear your recommendation for plan B. Otherwise, I will try to look for other options in Port Angeles.

I have booked 3 nights at Westin in Seattle. It that a good choice?

From TripAdvisor, National Park Inn is ranked #1, so I booked a night at National Park Inn vs. Paradise Inn.

Thanks again for taking the time. Really appreciate it!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

If you cant get Lake Crescent Lodge look at the Forks area. It is more centrally located for the places to Forks. i also would do 1 day in Port Angeles before forks.

Then after Quinalult head south to Astoria/Cannon Beach area before heading to Portland

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

For Lake Quinault look at the Elk House listed through VRBO. I stay there often. Much much nicer than Rain Forest Resort. For Forks I recommend Huckelberry Lodge (great deal and nice cabins) or Cabins at Beaver Creek. I know all these places.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

Since Lake Crescent Lodge has no availability, one of the recommended lodging was Log Cabin Road. I clicked on the link and it looks decent and I booked a night at Log Cabin Resort - Lodge Room. After making the reservation, I did a quick search for Log Cabin Resort on TA and am surprised to read quite a few negative reviews. My family is used to camping in Minnesota and not afraid of rustic group sites. Is it really that bad. Thinking about cancelling.

Also got a night at Lake Quinault Lodge for the last day in ONP. Still deciding on where to stay for the 2nd and 3rd night. The Cabins at Beaver Creek has no availability. Checking out Huckleberry Lodge.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

I am glad you wrote back. Here is what I know about Log Cabin Resort. It is a park concession in a lovely location. For several years, the place was getting increasingly run down, to the point that it was downright depressing. I advised people to stay away as even the little general store there had become a shambles. However, about two years ago, new management took over. They really have spruced the place up, and it looks sooo much better. I think it is well worth a shot. You can rent canoes and kayaks there, and it is quite close to the Spruce Railroad Trail. They have a little restaurant that serves three meals a day, and it, also, looks much better than it did.

Please write back with your experience, as it will help many people in the future. For what it's worth, I would take the chance.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

So glad to hear that Log Cabin Resort has recent upgrades. Will keep the night there. My husband promised he will provide feedback on our experience :-). Thank you for taking time to continue providing helpful feedback.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

So glad to hear that Log Cabin Resort has recent upgrades. Will keep the night there. My husband promised he will provide feedback on our experience :-). Thank you for taking time to continue providing helpful feedback.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

If Huckelberry Lodge is booked get back to me. Also look at Quillayute River Resort and Boggie Bungalow if your daughter does not mind sleeping on a fold out couch.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help! 10-days trip in early July.

glaciermeadows, thank you for your suggestion. I've booked 2 nights at HuckleBerry Lodge. I am all set with my ONP lodging. Next, I need help planning what to do (put this list together from reading other posts):

Day 1 -July 8 - Planning on Leaving Seattle around 10:00 am and drive to Log Cabin Resort, by Cresent Lake. Stopping at Poulbo, Port Townsend, Dungeness Spit, then to Hurricane Ridge Summit (enough time, or should I do HR the next day) . Doable? Too much?

Day 2 - Check out of Log Cabin. Explore Lake Crescent - hike Marymere Falls, Sol Duc Falls, dinner in Port Angeles, shop groceries in PA, then check in at Huckleberry Lodge. Any other suggestions of what to see?

Day 3 - Rialto Beach at lowtide, Second Beach, hike Hoh Rain Forest, then back to HuckleBerry Lodge. Restaurant suggestion please. Any other place to see?

Day 4 - Check out of HuckleBerry at 10:00 am. Drive to La Push (worth going?), Ruby Beach, then to Lake Quinault Lodge. What to do at Lake Quinault? Dinner at the lodge?

Day 5 - Check out of Lake Quinault at 10:00 am. Drive to Portland for the night, stopping at Astoria, Cannon Beach.

Where can I fit in whaleWatching? I have 2 full days in Seattle.