We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ONP Itinerary July

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
ONP Itinerary July

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to visit ONP in July. I have listed our itinerary below. Please feel free to make any suggestions. I learned about ONP during an Ecology of the Rainforest course that I took in college eight years ago. I have dreamed about visiting ever since and am so thrilled to have the opportunity! We are really hoping to see Olympic marmots, elk, mountain goats, wildflowers, and large, squishy starfish. We are both experienced day-hikers and have started backpacking.

Day 1

Fly into Sea Tac at 12:00pm

Staying at Quality Inn hotel near the space needle

Visit Chihuly Garden and Glass and space needle

Day 2

Take taxi to Renton to pick up rental car

Drive to Port Angeles via WA-16W

Go to Olympic Park Visitor Center in PA, get backcountry camping permit

Stay at Olympic Lodge

Eat dinner at Alder Wood Bistro

Day 3

Hike Hurricane Hill Trail

Eat dinner at Bella Italia

Stay at Olympic Lodge

Day 4

Arrive at Hoh Visitor Center at 9:15am

Hike Hoh River trail to Olympus Ranger Station

Camp at ranger station

Day 5

8:30 am - Hike to Hoh Lake

Leave Hoh lake at 3:00pm

Hike back to ranger station and camp

Day 6

8:00 am - Hike back to Hoh Visitor Center

Drive to Forks and eat at Taqueria Santanna

Grocery shop at Forks Outfitters

Drive to La Push

Stay in a luxury 1 bedroom at Quileute Oceanside Resort

Day 7

Visit Rialto Beach

Hike to The Hole in the Wall

Stay at Oceanside Resort

Day 8

Drive to Renton, drop off car

Take taxi to Hampton Inn at Sea Tac

Leave on Day 9

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ONP Itinerary July

I'll leave your plans for ONP to others. Why in the world do you need to drive to Renton to pick up a rental? All of the major car rental companies have downtown outlets. Seems like a waste of cab fare to me. (I live in Renton and wouldn't think of taking a cab into town.)

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ONP Itinerary July

Thanks for the reply! I read somewhere that the airport car rental places were pricey compared to the ones in Renton. I did not think to look at the downtown options. Duh! I found a place right near our Seattle hotel that is just slightly more than the one in Renton. Thank you so much for the advice!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ONP Itinerary July

When I first moved to Seattle there was a terrible fire around Hoh Lake. As a result I never hiked to Hoh Lake. So I can not help you there. I have passed by the junction many times. The day you have planned for Hole in the Wall would allow enough time to include going to Second Beach. Also since you are obviously into hiking, the hike to Klahanne Ridge on the Switchback Trail below Hurricane Ridge is far more rewarding than Hurricane Ridge. Better chance of seeing marmots and goats there.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ONP Itinerary July

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely check out second beach. I have been on the fence about hiking the Klahanne Ridge trail. I wasn't sure if it would be too much with the Hoh Lake hike. Seems like it would be worth the extra effort though.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ONP Itinerary July

It is worth the effort. Remember you will not be carrying a backpack like at the Hoh.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ONP Itinerary July

If you are inexperienced backpackers, make sure you are properly equipped for the rain forest/back country, especially if you will be staying out for one or more nights.

If you aren't knowledgeable about hypothermia and giardia, and don't have good trail maps, educate yourselves! --- Then, have a great time~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, where are you coming from. Your profile doesn't help us respond.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ONP Itinerary July

Thanks for the advice. We are from New Hampshire and have done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains, as well as some hikes in Glacier and Banff National Park. We have backpacked twice and I hope to do a couple more trips before we visit ONP. I am aware of the risk of hypothermia and we plan on bringing a lot of quick-drying clothing and rain gear, as well as emergency supplies. I have also read a lot about giardia and definitely want to avoid getting that. We are looking around for the best water purification and filter system. Any recommendations? We plan on getting a set of the Custom Correct maps. Thanks again for the response.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ONP Itinerary July

They are coming in July. Do not worry about hypothermia along the Hoh and Hoh Lake. Personally I boil my water after drinking what I carry the first day. Your choice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ONP Itinerary July

Sorry to disagree, but hypothermia can most definitely become an issue even in July. If you get drenched, the wind comes up, and you don't get dry, you can get hypothermic even in relatively warm temps. The higher the elevation, the greater the risk.

Am I saying the risk is huge in July? No. But to dismiss the risk as trivial is irresponsible.

Just be prepared for the possibility.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ONP Itinerary July

Please!

Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park