We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Brunswick, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

Hello everyone,

We are having issues planning on what to do and what not to do in ONP. So we are kinda hoping that someone can help us figure that out.

We are going to leave Seattle in the morning and then we have 4 nights planned in ONP to then go back to Seattle. We were thinking about going clockwise.

What places are worth doing and can anyone help us find the best places to stay at night? We love to see nature at its finest and we dont mind to some 4 hours hikes in between.

Finding the accommodation suited to a 4 night stay and then figuring out how long it takes to get from one place to another is sometimes hard.

Thank you very much!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

With four nights if you want to hike I see a couple of options. Where you stay and what kinds of hikes you do depends on what you want to see. What makes Olympic unique is that it offers temperate rainforests, wild Ocean Beaches and the mountains. If you want hiking in the mountains then you will want to stay around Port Angeles for two nights. I do not know your budget, but if you can get a reservation at Lake Crescent Lodge that would be my first choice. The area around Forks gives you access to beaches like Rialto and Second Beach along with the Hoh Rainforest. the problem with staying around Forks is good food. Having a kitchen or a grill is a big plus. There are some nice places to stay. Oceanside Resort in La Push, Huckelberry Lodge, Cabins at Beaver Creek and Quillayute River Resort are all good options. Google Forks Chamber of Commerce for listings. The third option is Lake Quinault. and the Quinault Rainforest. Quinault requires two nights IMO two really experience the Quinault Rainforest I believe you need two nights. It offers an historic lodge with good food. There are also other acommadation options. Google Quinault Rainforest for info.

Depending on what looks good to you I would consider one of two options. Two nights at Lake Quinault, one night near Forks and one night near Port Angeles. Or two nights in the Port Angeles area and two nights around Forks.

New Brunswick, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

Thanks! This is very helpful. We are spoiled from a food perspective, so I think we might do two nights at Quinault and then 2 nights Port Angeles. From a budget perspective we like to keep our nightly room price below 125$ - ideally with tax and breakfast included. Given July is the high season, I hope that is not completely undoable...

Do you happen to have any recommendations for specific hikes? Which ones are the most diverse/breath taking? We were indeed thinking about a hike on the beach, a hike in the mountains and one in the rain forest so that we can get to experience all these different aspects of the park.

Thanks so much!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

If you want something a little less book a room at the River Resort at Lake Quinault. You will still need to eat at the lodge or grill food across the street. there is also the Salmon House, which is just ok. For a longer hike at Quinault on your second day hike from the end of the South Shore Road past Pony Bridge, which is 2.5 miles. Lovely spot. Nike as far as you want and then return the same way. On your first day visit the record Sitka Spruce and the Rainforest Trail on the South Shore near the Lodge. On the North Shore walk to the 1000 year old cedar across from Lake Quinault Resort. Then walk the Maple Glades Trail further up the road.

Have breakfast at the Lodge and then stop at Rialto Beach on your way to Port Angeles. Then stop and walk to Sol duc Falls at the end of Sol Duc Valley Road. Enjoy the drive along lovely Lake Crescent before checking into a motel in Port Angeles. There is a Quality Inn that should be in that price range. I really like the Country Cottoge for breakfast. Then drive up to Hurricane Ridge. Bring water if you do my favorite hike in the area, the Switchback Trail to Klahanne Ridge.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 04:07
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

The other option is to stay in forks for 2 nights and 2 nights in Port Angeles.

I think forks is more central to the different areas you can explore in Olympic between the rain forests and the coastal areas. then travel over to Port Angles/Sequim and do 2 nights there. another option is to do1 night in Port angles/Sequim and then 1 night in Port Townsend.

Friday/Satursday nights are goingg to be filling up quickly. On the 3rd weekend of July in sequim (near Port angeles) they have their annual Lavender festival.

5. Re: Itinerary help ONP 4 day trip during mid July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:16