We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

Greensboro, Nc
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

We will be arriving at SeaTac approx 10 am July 4th from the east coast. After renting our car we will head toward Port Angeles. What would be the recommended route, either the ferry or highway thru Tacoma? I'm assuming I will need to reserve ferry time if that is route we choose. Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

Neither the Seattle-Bainbridge nor the Edmonds-Kingston ferries accept reservations.

The Tacoma route will be more driving but cheaper (toll bridge instead of ferry) while going via Bainbridge will be more scenic but potentially slower due to traffic congestion in Seattle and possible waits for the ferry. After a six-plus hour flight from the east coast, I'd probably take the ferry, even if it results in a slightly later arrival time in PA. The 40 min. on the ferry with fresh air and NOT having to drive might be a good pick-me-up.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,997 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

This is tough. The Tacoma route is a little faster if you are already at Sea-Tac,but, as Ibgardyloo suggests, it is a less pleasant route. Getting to the ferry, however, requires driving to downtown Seattle and waiting for the next sailing. The wild card is the July 4 holiday, which, on top of everything else, is on a Friday this year. Typically, the ferry gets very backed up on summer fridays, and travelers often have to wait an hour or more. For that reason, I would guess that it might be better to take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Either way, you may face heavy traffic heading toward Port Angeles. Let's hope that most visitors to the Olympic Peninsula will leave on Thursday this year.

Washington
Level Contributor
532 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

You do not pay a toll when heading across from Tacoma to the Kitsap Peninsula and up to Port Angeles. If you were to drive back from port Angeles, across the Tacoma narrows bridge then you would pay a toll...$5.25 for a car.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

Right, forgot about the one-way tolling on the bridges.

With a 10 AM arrival you're probably looking at a noon ferry from Seattle. No way of knowing, but that might be a relatively slack time on the boats; the morning traffic has left, too soon for the evening traffic. There aren't any sporting events on the 4th (Mariners and Sounders both traveling) so the stadium area won't be a problem, and the eternal road construction on the waterfront should be shut for the holiday.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

No question on the 4th take the Bridge! I commute on the ferry.

Greensboro, Nc
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds as if to me taking the bridge out of Tacoma would be less of a wild card...not knowing about the ferry wait. How long will it take to Port Angeles if traffic is not a problem?

Greensboro, Nc
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds as if to me taking the bridge out of Tacoma would be less of a wild card...not knowing about the ferry wait. How long will it take to Port Angeles if traffic is not a problem?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

About 2.5 hours.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

July 4, so no commuter traffic to worry about. And construction projects should be halted for the day. Seattle could be crowded. You say "the ferry." There are, of course, several routes. I'd probably take the Edmonds ferry over any requiring me to drive through downtown Seattle, even on a holiday. Tacoma route, as you say, more of a sure thing. We'll already be in P.A. on the 4th, and plan on seeing the fireworks from near the harbor. You could consider any of several ferry routes on your return, even Southworth-Fauntleroy, if you want to avoid Seattle (ferry free going east, and you avoid the bridge toll). www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf

Edited: 09 June 2014, 23:53
New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bainbridge ferry or US 16 out of Tacoma to Port Angeles

With the construction at the Bainbridge Ferry terminal, wouldn't it be better for a person not familiar with the area to just take US 16 to Port Angeles?