We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RMNP:Advice needed

England
3 posts
Save Topic
RMNP:Advice needed

Hi,

Sorry this may be a bit long winded. I am travelling to Denver on September 18th, this is my first time to both Denver and the US!

I was supposed to be travelling with a friend and we were going to travel from Denver to Yellowstone via Wyoming, Montana then back to spend some time in the Rocky Mountains just outside Denver. Unfortunatley with a week to go I have been let down but don't wish to cancel my holiday!!! What i will have to do is revise my plans as paying for 2 weeks accommodation by myself makes the trip very expensive.

What i am after is some advice and guidance for Camping (Tent) in RMNP possibly Moraine Park... then the quickest way to Yellowstone as i would still love to see this wonderful National Park, with some advice on camping in Yellowstone.

Any advice or guidance would be very useful and appreciated, I have been scouring the forums and have some information but some advice from locals would be appreciated about feasability of camping... how long would it take from Estes park to Yellowstone, best route and possible stop offs especially as i am now on a budget

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

As far as camping goes....Moraine Park is a good spot. It's close to the entrance of the park and you can reserve a spot on-line if you go to www.recreation.gov. I have found the most scenic spots to be on the outside of loop B, in the 200s. You might get lucky with a beautiful spot overlooking the valley. It is $20/night to camp and there are picnic tables and a fire pit at each site. They also sell wood at the site for fires.

Glacier Basin is also a big campground in the park that takes on-line reservations, although I don't think it is as pretty as Moraine Park. If you can, I think Aspen Glen is the prettiest camping spot in the park. But spaces are limited and it is first come,first served.

As for a good route into Yellowstone, you'll want to take hwy 34 into Loveland, which is about 45 mins. From Loveland, you'll get on I-25 North. Casper is a good place to stay the night if you don't want to make the trip in one shot. Casper is around 3 hrs. from Loveland.

Then you'll take Hwy 20 north/west. I think that eventually turns into Hwy 120. Then you'll take that to Hwy 14 west. At that junction is a town called Cody,which would be good to stop for lunch. It has an "old west" feel to it and is pretty interesting. Hwy 14 will take you into the park.

I did this drive recently and it took me about 9ish hours to do in one shot.

Hope this helps and have fun enjoying the Rocky Mountains,they're beautiful!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

Moraine Park CG is very nice. B loop is the only loop without flush toilets in the restrooms. For tent camping, I would look at D loop which has walk in spots for tents.

In Yellowstone Madison CG will still be open, may be getting a bit cold. Also, KOA campgrounds have camping cabins that may also be an affordable option to hotels. There is a KOA in West Yellowstone.

England
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

Thank you for the information. I did take a look at the KOA website, do you need to be a member of their organisation or anything to book with them? I think they have a site near to RMNCP to?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

No you do not need to be a member. We have stayed at many KOA's over the years. Usually nice, clean and safe.

Have fun.

England
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

Thank you CasaAzul will definitely look them up!

Do you know roughly how long it would take to drive from RMNP to Yellowstone i have looked on a few sites and they quote about 510 miles - 8.5 hours which is up I25 and around.. is it possible to go more cross country and how long would that take? I know i would need to overnight somewhere but just trying to get an idea

Many thanks

Denver
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

Did you look at Rebeki's post? The route that is posted in that post is the most direct one. It usually takes my wife and I about 9 hours going that way and we always stop in Casper as the previous poster mentioned.

Not sure what you mean by more "cross country"-do you want a longer route off of the main highways?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

Another route, one that I have taken is east from Estes Park to I25, then north to Cheyenne on I25. Then west on I80 to Rawlins. From there head north US 287 through Lander, Dubois and to Moran WY. The mileage on this route is about 500 miles. You can stop in Lander for the night, there is an interesting state park outside of there, Sinks Canyon where the river disappears into the earth, then reappears!

Have fun, hope this helps some.

8. Re: RMNP:Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 22:20