We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

I am thinking of taking a trip with my 2 kids and my father to RMNP this June. I see that flying to Denver is the easiest but how long is the drive to the park. Does anyone have a preference over staying in the park or outside the park. We visited Yellowstone last year so I do know that making reservations way ahead of time is important. SInce we'll be in the area for almost 7 days what other activities or places should be plan to visit. What is the wildlife in the park like? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. This will be our first trip to Colorado so we want to make the most of it.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

The drive from Denver to RMNP is about an hour and a half depending on which route you take. There are several ways to get there.

There is no lodging in the Park. Most people stay in Estes Park or Grand Lake.

If you do a search here (on the left side of the page) you will find lots of information. It's a very popular subject!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Thank you. I found all the lodging in Estes Park on their site and I requested some info as well. Look like it will be fun to start planning my trip.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

You're welcome! I missed your inquiry about wildlife in the park. Here's a good site with info:

rockymountainnationalpark.com/pages/wildwatc…

One of the regular contributors on the forum has a list of things to do in Estes Park which may be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1183-Springtim…

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Other places to visit nearby include Boulder, Winter Park and Grand Lake. Wildlife in the park ranges from little chipmunks to elk and moose. When we were there one July, there were black bear sightings in the park.

I would plan maybe 3 days in Estes, and maybe somewhere else in the mountains for a few days. A day or 2 in Denver/Boulder area would be fun, plenty of kid stuff. You may also want to visit Idaho Spring, Leadville, Fairplay for mining history and scenery.

Enjoy.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Perhaps use Estes Park as your base for three days, enjoying the Park and the wildlife, then head over Trail Ridge Road to the western side and down into Summit County, perhaps Breckenridge, for different kinds of activities.

TX
Level Contributor
156 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

If you've got kids take a look at YMCA of the Rockies (www.ymcarockies.org/home/our-locations/EPC)Incredible value for what all you get. Early June will typically have pretty good availability.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Thank you everyone. Does anyone have a great hotel they can recommend? I may have my 74 yr old father with me again this year. We really lucked out in Yellowstone (last year)with all our hotel picks. He doesn't camp, and he doesn't do cabins. I see Estes park and Grand lake have some good choices. But, there are so many to choose from. I will check trip advisor reviews too. Did someone mention Pikes Peak isn't that far away?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

For a hotel you might consider the Stanley in Estes Park, though personally I much prefer a nice condo along Fall River such as Riverwood, Woodlands or Creekside Suites.

As for Pikes Peak, it's not exactly close by; it's South of Denver whereas you'll be North, maybe 140 miles away from Pikes Peak. If your interest is in driving to the top of a tall mountain, a closer option would be to go up Mt. Evans, all 14,000 feet of it. You would get to it off of I-70 out of Idaho Springs.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

Pikes Peak is in Colorado Springs, around 2 1/2 hours (?) from Estes Park. That would make for a long day trip, but you could consider spending a night there if you are really interested in it.

Here's a website for more info: http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/

A fun thing to do is take the Cog Railway to the top rather than drive it: http://www.cograilway.com/

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in June 2009

I went June 2006 and July 2007.

In June the elk were in lower elevations. dozens in town.

In July they were all up higher. We saw on Trail ridge road a herd of about 100 elk. Roads were jammed with people watching them.

We missed them but i understand that in the evening and the morning you can see moose on the west side around the lakes.

Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...
Recent Conversations