We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears? Mountain Lions?

Missouri
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bears? Mountain Lions?

Are bears a concern at RMNP? In Glacier NP we were warned constantly about bears and we even saw them. What about mountain lions? I haven't seen any mention of bears in the forums - just wondering.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

Are you planning on trekking deep in the mountains?

Please have a look at these few links, they should help you with your question...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k25477…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k21484…

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

Those are great links and just to add - we have seen a bear and her cub there - but on the side of the road.

If you are planning on going back country camping, just be sure to take the usual precautions - have bear bags that you can hang in a tree, etc. Some of the back country sites have bear boxes as well. We've done a ton of back country camping in the park and have never had an issue or even seen a bear while camping.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

Information on bears and mountain lions from the Rocky Mountain National Park website:

www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm

Another good website with info on wildlife in the Park:

rockymountainnationalpark.com/pages/wildlife…

rockymountainnationalpark.com/pages/wildlife…

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

We were camping in late July/early August and the rangers said a black bear wandered through the campground. We never saw him/her. I grew up in Colorado and have never seen a mountain lion in the mountains... but my mom saw one in her neighborhood, 10 miles east of Boulder!!!

I don't think you have anything much to worry about. Don't leave food in your tent and make some noise while hiking. Don't let toddlers or small children walk ahead of you alone...lions don't like us big people!!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

Casa, there are mountain lion and bear sightings in Boulder frequently (not bears right now of course). A mountain lion attacked a dog in north Boulder 2 weeks ago and they had to close a school in the neighborhood. We "joke" that there seems to be more wildlife in Boulder than here in the mountains.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
626 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

I camped and hiked dozens of times in RMNP this summer and had a few bear sightings, but no lion sightings. Mountain lions do tend to stay in the foothills more than deep in the woods. The bears are just black bears and are primarily after food, so make sure to store food in a bear safe container if you are backpacking and don't leave food in your tent or around your campsite.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

No grizzly bears here like in Glacier. I have occasionally seen a bear and have seen a mountain lion once at the ranch where I keep my horse. I've not seen one in RMNP but they are certainly there along with other spectacular wildlife.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

Growing up in Boulder, I don't remember ever hearing about bears or mtn lions actually in town, maybe they did show up but I would remember as mtn lions are a favorite animal! I graduated from CU in the 1980's even then did not hear of any! We are encroaching on their territory.. wish we did not have to!

The only time I ever was close to a mtn lion in the wild was in a very remote area near Durango CO.

Rocky Mtn National Park is a great place to visit.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

i have seen many more lions and bears in estes city limits than in rmnp ive been here 22 years

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bears? Mountain Lions?

We have tons of bears and mountain lions here in Evergreen. We have to be very vigilant about the garbage, we've had bears on our front step! We have heard the mountain lions "mewing" kinda sound at night in our neighborhood many times, their pawprints in the snow in our yard. Last spring my kids' school went on lockdown as a mountain lion was napping on the front lawn!!