We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

I realize that you can get afternoon thunderstorms @ RMNP during the summer, but is there a particular time during June, July, August or September that there is more or less constant rain? I sure as heck don't want to go to RMNP to watch TV.

Thanks, Kent

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

feast on these stats at www.estesparkweather.net/noaa_reports.php

it's not the rain but the lightning you need to be worried about when hiking in RMNP>

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

Just a completely amateur observation: it will be consistently drier as the summer progresses. There are very few periods of constant rain anywhere in Colorado. In RMNP, you're more likely to encounter days of rain/snow in June, lots of days with afternoon thundershowers in June/July, fewer thundershowers in August, and pretty dry days through September. No matter what the stats show, you'll encounter unusually wet or dry spells at any time, but August/September would be my pick for a better chance at perfect weather.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,070 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

During the summer visit as much as you can during the mornings to noon. Afternoon showers/storms pick up in the afternoons. We were camping a few years ago in RMNP and had rain all night in late July!

There is never "constant" rain. Some days are clear, some partly cloudy, some rainy.

I would pick early June or September as least likely to rain!

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

September is just one of the best months there anyway, hands down, for lots of reasons.

Elk rut being one of them. Beautiful days, and towards the endish of September, changing leaves.

colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

later in the summer better then now for less rain however even if there is a little rain it is short lived and welcomed most of time and usually you will have clear days until late afternoon but Sept is best for less rain however you can never predict the weather. When staying in EP check out the fall rive side of town much more secluded and quite. Boulder Brook would be my suggested place to stay. have a great trip.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
642 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

I would aim for late August through Sept. Those months seem to be drier than June and July. Although there is always a chance for anything with Colorado's crazy weather. Typically, the storms roll in in the afternoon. Often, it's nothing more than an hour of lightening and a few rain drops and then it's all done for the day. Or there could be a pretty long thunderstorm, but CO's storms rarely last an entire afternoon. Do most of your hiking in the morning, then wait out a short storm and you can probably get another hike in in the late afternoon or evening, assuming the skies are clear!

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
622 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

We usually plan our mountain days with afternoon thunderstorms in mind. Most thunderstorms move on through quickly, and only have a small effect on the day. We hike/sitesee in the morning, if it looks like rain, we plan a trip to town or simply take a short nap, before continuing with the adventure in the late afternoon and early evening.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

Thanks, all. I'm a morning person anyway and like to get up for sunrise and earlier photos.

Looking forward for my 2nd trip to RMNP.

Kent

9. Re: Inclement weather @ RMNP June thru Sept??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 06:30