We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

I'm an amateur photographer and we're planning to come in mid to late Sept and were wondering, based on rain and temperature a good guess for "good" fall color in 2009. Also I have been there once and would like to know where in RMNP or the surrounding area to go to see fall color? Well fly into Denver and travel I-70 and start in Grand Lake and then travel to Estes Park.

I am 67 and have a gimpy knee and can't walk more then 1/2 to 1 mile.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

I live about 40 miles south of RMNP. I am looking out the window and can already see some yellow aspen. I am going out on a "limb" here (pun intended) and say that mid September into the third week could be very good timing for fall color.

Check this website for more info: www.colorado.com/Articles.aspx?aid=42023

And this one too: www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/fallcolors/

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

Sorry, missed the other part of your post.

Good spots to view fall foliage in RMNP: Hidden Valley, Fern & Cub Lake trails, the Kawuneeche Valley, Wild Basin and Bear Lake Road.

If you are arriving from the west side you can't miss Kawuneeche Valley. You will drive through miles of prime aspen country along Trail Ridge Road to just beyond the Timber Lake Trailhead.

Lots of info here:

…national-park.com/sights.htm#asp

I hope your timing is good and you get some great shots!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

I would say.....maybe the 3rd or 4th week in Sept. would be a good guess on when to come for the colors.....but that's just a guess! In CO, it can happen anytime based on the temps and moisture. Last year, the color held off until the beginning of Oct., but we've had a cooler summer this year, so my hunch would be that the colors will come out sooner than later.

Just take a drive over Trail Ridge and you'll see all the colors you want! There are plenty of pull-outs for you to stop and take pictures. The Grand Lake side has some good spots too, just before and after the entrance station. Hidden Valley is another good area as well. Have fun!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

Thanks, Babalax and Rebecki14 for answering my question(s).

Kent

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

we were just in RMNP last week. I am going to guess the aspens will be turning by the end of Sept for sure. We were there Sept 8th and 9th and the smaller aspens were already turning up in the park. The elk are also in rut. We are also amateur photographers and got LOTS of cool photos of the bull elks bugling and a pair of bulls sparring. There were 6 or more bulls in the Moraine Park area and lots of female... You're going to love it! :) we also really enjoyed the short, level hike around Sprague Lake. (I think maybe 1/2 mile total)Reflections of the craggy mountains in the lake. Something a gimpy kneed person can manage for sure.

6. Re: 2009 Fall color in RMNP and where to go to see???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:17