We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RMNP - Which Route?

E��
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
RMNP - Which Route?

My wife and I will be in CO this summer and we want to see RMNP. Which route is the best way to see the most scenic areas? Should we start in Estes Park and travel west? How far should we go? Is there also a route that goes south from Estes? We will be visiting friends in Georgetown. Should we go there first and then through Granby into RMNP from the west side? Or travel back up to Estes and go West through there?

Also, We can spend a max of 2 days there. Can we see everything we should see in one? Or should we plan on two?

Thanks.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RMNP - Which Route?

You have some options, and they are all pretty scenic!

Head up to Estes Park and drive through RMNP to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake, head over to I-70 and go east into Georgetown.

Or you can start out going west on I-70, stop in Georgetown on your way to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake, head into RMNP and end up in Estes Park.

One more possibility is to go up to Estes Park, drive into RMNP and come back out into Estes Park instead of going all the way to Grand Lake. Then from Estes, take the Peak to Peak Hwy (Hwy 7/72/119) to I-70 and into Georgetown.

I think you can definitely do any of these option.

In terms of time...it depends on what you want to do. If you just want to drive through, take some pictures, grab lunch etc., then you'd be fine in one day. But if you want to hike, horseback ride, fish or anything else that takes extra time, then you should definitely plan on 2 days. If you plan on doing 2 days, staying in either Estes Park or Grand Lake would be your best bet, putting you very close to RMNP so you can get out and explore. Have a great trip!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RMNP - Which Route?

Jcybul, be sure you see the responses to this same question you posted earlier. In case you need the link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k448…

It appears from some of your other posts, you will be in RMNP in August. Old Fall River Road will be open. You can drive this one way gravel road to the Alpine Visitor Center and then take Trail Ridge back to Estes Park.

3. Re: RMNP - Which Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:31