We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Basin Trailhead

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Basin Trailhead

We are driving from Limon to Wild Basin Trailhead early out first day. Looking for the best hike to take from that trailhead. We are experienced hikers and do well with the altitude the first day of hiking.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

My favorite hike is to Ouzel Falls:

http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=12

http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=33

I am not sure what the trail conditions are right now, but the falls should be pounding!

I found this info on the RMNP site: nps.gov/romo/…trail_conditions.htm

Trail: Calypso Cascades Date: 7/9/11

Warning: Water described in following report can be much higher and therefore crossing much more hazardous later in the day. The trail to Calypso Cascades has several shallow water crossings due to high water beyond the bridge past the junction for Pine Ridge Campground. Water is running over logs and rocks. Areas are passable but do present a hazard that may result in slips and falls.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

I love the Wild Basin area of the park. I would suggest hiking towards Bluebird Lake, past Ouzel Falls (Wild Basin trail to Bluebird Lake trail). Getting all the way to Bluebird would be a very long day hike, but the trail and area is beautiful. Ouzel Falls is about 3 miles from the trailhead.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

Hiked this part of the park last September. Not crowded. How is it in the Summer? Love Bear Lake hikes, but way too crowded for our taste. Plan to repeat several from last September in other parts of the park. Would love to go in September again, but taking the college student this trip.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

Babalax probably knows better, as its been a few years since I hiked in the Wild Basin area. Ouzel Falls is probably the most popular destination in the Wild Basin area - so somewhat busy to Ouzel Falls, however less crowded than other parts of the park.

Another option is Finch Lake Trail to Finch Lake and Pear Lake. What trail did you hike last year?

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

I did 2 nights at the backcountry site at Ouzel Lake Wednesday & Thursday. Get to the trailhead early - parking space is very limited. Hiking to Ouzel Lake is nice right now.

There is a bit of water washing over the trail at the first bridge crossing right before the uphill to Calypso Cascades. The streams and falls are gushing at the moment. Once you pass Ouzel Falls, you will drop 99% of the hikers on the trail as most just go to Calypso Cascades & Ouzel Falls. There is a little bit of snow just as you get to Ouzel Lake but nothing that will be troublesome.

Getting to Bluebird Lake is another story this year. Since this is the most snowfall in 30+ years for RMNP, trail conditions are very different than what most folks have seen in the past. There is a lot of snow on the trail between Ouzel Lake and Bluebird! Before you get to the Upper Ouzel Creek backcountry site there are big drifts with moving water running underneath. If that doesn't spook you, there is an avalanche that has crossed the trail just before Bluebird. I chose not to go all the way up and enjoyed the fishing at Ouzel Lake instead.

Thunder Lake has even more snow around that area! I was supposed to go there for 2 more nights but switched to another area due to the snowpack. The roof of the ranger cabin has just poked out of the top of the snowpack in the past week!

I agree that Finch Lake and even up to Pear Lake is a great hike in the Wild Basin area - and often much less 'crowded'.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

We hiked to Ouzel Falls last year. Would like to go to the Lake. The Finch Lake hike is a consideration. I am concerned about parking. We won't even get there until 10:30 or so. Last time it was crowded and that was September. I don't care for the narrow road to the parking.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

@ rky thanks for the excellent update! We were going to hike to Ouzel lake this past weekend but were concerned about the snow. We'll put it on the calendar for next weekend.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

You can hike to Finch Lake easier from the Allenspark Trailhead. Give the backcountry office a call if you need directions. I always hike from this TH when going to Finch & Pear Lakes. Less of a climb and easier parking.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

That's a good suggestion. How would I go about findinng where to phone for directions?

10. Re: Wild Basin Trailhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 06:16