We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

We are flying in to Denver at night this Friday and have from early 6am to maximum 5 pm on Saturday as we have to drive to Casper that night. We want to do one or two short hikes Bear Lake and the Sprague Lake. Also we are interested in driving through the RMNP. I have read some of the posts and have the points like fall river entrance, great lake, TRR, Alpine visitor center but I am not feeling confident that we will be able to cover all these. Where should we enter from to cover maximum? I am getting confused between RMNP & Estes Park.

Thanks for all the suggestion and help.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

Estes Park is the name of the town adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is known as the Gateway to RMNP.

www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Things-RockyInADay.HTML

Starting at 6:00 am and leaving by 5:00 pm, you can do the above itinerary. Since you are in a rental car, be aware that your contract will probably forbid your driving on dirt roads. Old Fall River Road, mentioned in the itinerary, is a one way winding dirt road. Nobody minds driving up and back on Trail Ridge Road.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

fv1989, that's a great site you found - you always provide the best advice!

If you're worried about missing beautiful sights, don't be. The whole park is amazing and if you're even in the area, you can't miss the beauty. I would simply make sure to drive trail ridge road, and do the one or two short hikes you're planning on. If you have extra time (which you likely will), you can explore other areas that look interesting on the map they give you upon entering. It will also be convenient for you if you pack a picnic lunch (as the above link suggests) and bring it with you into the park - then you don't have to worry about driving back and forth to Estes in the middle of the day.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

Thank you kingshimmers. I borrowed that site reference and others from Bablax shortly after she coerced me into being a DE. I am always looking for information to better assist folks on the forum. My significant other laughs that every time we go anywhere now, I have a notepad and pen in hand and scour visitor centers for information.

All of your posts on the forum are appreciated, too!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

The views driving one way and then the other are not the same and you will enjoy yourself both ways. Be sure to get out of the car and enjoy the sheer majesty of the park - makes you feel very small at times. Hope your trip is great.

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I will make sure to pack a lunch so that we can make use of the day to view the beauty of the park.

6. Re: Need help planning must sees at RMNP in 1/2 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...
Recent Conversations