We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

We are considering doing a loop, with a side trip to the Loch, starting at Glacier Gorge TH, Alberta Falls, Loch, Dream Lake, Nymph Lake, Bear Lake, back to start (or take shuttle from Bear Lake TH to Glacier Gorge TH). We are comfortable doing about 10-14 miles in a day (5-7 hours), but I don't know how long this is, or how much elevation gain is involved. Thanks! Also, we need to get a topo map when we arrive.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 02:40
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

You can probably piece it together using this site: protrails.com/trails/…the_loch

Also good info here thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/Hikes/Alber…

Edited: 08 July 2012, 03:25
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

nps.gov/romo/…bear_lake_summer_trails.pdf

Bear Lake TH elevation is 9475 feet.

Glacier Gorge TH elevation is 9180 feet.

Highest elevation is Lake Haiyaha at 10,220 feet. The Loch is 10,180 feet. Trail distance is either 8.3 miles or 8.6 miles (depends on which guidebook you use) using the Bear Lake and Glacier Gorge TH's.

Most people do this hike from the Bear Lake TH and end at Glacier Gorge because 1) it is a little easier and 2) there is very limited parking at the Glacier Gorge TH. You can catch the shuttle from Glacier Gorge back to Bear Lake but you may have to wait due to the shuttle delays.

Maps, books and trail guides are available at the RMNP visitor centers through the Rocky Mountain Nature Association.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

You will really enjoy this hike! It is one I do at least once each season. You will enjoy it more by starting at Bear Lake as fv1989 mentions.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

Thanks to all for the adviceand suggestions. We will start at Bear Lake TH as you suggest. Our plan is to get maps at the visitor center the day after we arrive. We are allowing a couple days to fully acclimate before doing any long/strenuous hikes. Thanks!

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

I can't give you specifics, but can only agree with the above posters that you will love this hike. I did it last year and it was the highlight of our trip. I am completely out of shape, bad knees, bad back, bad ankles, and asthmatic(wow I sound like I should be taken to the glue factory), however I managed to to this whole hike. Yes it probably took me longer then most, but I look at it more like I enjoyed the views more then others. I know that just from Glacier Gorge trailhead to the loch it was an elevation gain of 900+, but that's all I can give you. Someone mentioned protrails.....very good site, but the pictures of the loch does not do it justice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

We did this exact hike a few days ago.

Actually a park ranger told us to start the hike from Glacier Gorge and end at Bear Lake, because the hike is gentler (not as steep) that way. It's gorgeous either way of course! The glacier gorge parking lot is smaller and fills up early, so get there before 8.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

We just returned from our vacation and we did this hike on Thursday 7/12. We started at Bear Lake continuing to Nymph Lake and Dream Lake then on to the Loch. We continued to Alberta Falls and back to Bear Lake. We skipped Mills Lake, as the trails were seriously crowded by 10:30 am. This hike was 7 miles and 1700' total elevation gain. Awesome views and the Loch was beautiful.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

We're planning on doing this loop next week. How long did it take you to hike this route? Thanks, everyone, for posting your experiences.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

It took us about 5 hours. We started very early, at 6:30 am. We were able to park at Bear Lake TH, and took an extended break at the Loch. My husband takes lots of photos, so we spent a fair amount of time stopped. I think our GPS said our moving time was more like 3 hours. We are in our mid-50s, and tend to hike at about 2.5 miles per hour. There are two long climbs, but the views are awesome. Have a great time!

10. Re: Can anyone tell me how long/elevation gain of this hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 07:17