We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Basin Parking

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Basin Parking

There is a Post on Facebook quoting a Park Ranger as saying that there is not parking at Wild Basin after 8:30 due to the Bear Lake Construction. Anyone know if this is true? BTW, I can hardly wait to get to the Park. I fly out of Austin on Wednesday afternoon.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Basin Parking

That is not unusual. Parking is normally in short supply at Wild Basin. You have to get there early. Sounds like more people are going there because of the construction on the road to Bear Lake.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 20:35
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Yes, this is another limited parking trailhead and it is more popular now due to the Bear Lake Road Reconstruction. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k557…

travelbug_268 mentioned this in the above trip report.

roy p, if you are not doing a long hike, you often have better success waiting until after the brief thundershowers and then going to the TH's. People doing longer day hikes get to the TH's early but if you are doing Ouzel Falls, you can go later in the day. We often do 2 shorter hikes in the day, one in the morning and then one after the thundershowers as opposed to one long day hike. Trailhead parking may open up around 3:00. Pack a picnic supper and head to Ouzel Falls. You have time for the hike before it gets dark.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Thanks for the info fv. I am a morning person and I am usually up very early so I guess that I will add Wild Basin to Bear Lake as far as getting there early.

I will be staying at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn. What time should I leave the hotel to get parking at Wild Basin?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Is there parking at the Finch Lake trailhead, and is this a good alternate if the Wild Basin parking lot is full? We're heading up the Peak to Peak Highway on our way from the airport and don't expect to arrive until around 11 a.m. I know this would add what looks to be another mile to our hike.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Roy, allow 35 minutes to get to the trailhead from your hotel. This includes check in time at the entrance gate and driving the dirt road to the TH. Get a map of Estes Park from the Estes Park Visitor's Center. They are free. You will see the back way to get to highway 7 without having to go through downtown. Be at the TH no later than 8:00 am, earlier if you can.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 21:33
Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Basin Parking

fv, when you say "back way to get to highway 7" do you mean taking Marys Lake Road? That is very close to Alpine .

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Yes, Roy, take Mary's Lake Road to highway 7. You probably want to avoid the breakfast traffic around downtown.

IlliniTrav, the Finch Lake TH parking is .6 miles from the Wild Basin TH parking and there are about a dozen or so places there. I do not count the cars. :)

There are parking areas along the dirt road to the Wild Basin TH in addition to the parking at the TH. Do not park in a pullout. The Wild Basin road is only one lane wide in places and the pullouts are so people can get by.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Basin Parking

Thanks, fv. I think we'll see what the parking situation is, and if it doesn't look good, we can drive on to Lily Lake and do the hike there. We might be dead tired after leaving our house before 4 a.m. to make a 6 a.m. flight, so my ambitious hiking plans may fall by the wayside!

9. Re: Wild Basin Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...