We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foliage

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
foliage

We went to RMNP last week of Sept. last year and are going the same week this year. We were so lucky to see the fall colors in the full glory. Word is that the leaves are already turning. Do you think there will be any color, or leaves left for that matter, by the end of Sept? We are lucky enough last year to have warm days as well....were we lucky or is that usually true in RMNP in Sept. Thanks for any help you can give.

1. Re: foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2012, 21:53
rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foliage

I have noticed the leaves turning around 10,000 feet on hikes this past week. Some foliage in the lower elevations are showing hints of color - a few aspens in my back yard have gold edges.

Of course it is very weather dependent but I would say there will be some color in the lower elevations at the end of September. Traditionally, I would say the third week of September is the best time to shoot for when planning ahead. Even if the peak color arrives later than normal, you will still be able to find some somewhere.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: foliage

thanks everyone. I guess we were spoiled last year, but I am crossing my fingers that some leaves will be hanging in there as well as temps. We are camping for 4 nights and I hoping along with the leaves, we are hoping to wake up every am to the elk bugling.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: foliage

Elk are much more definite that time of year! You'll be able to enjoy that show once again.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: foliage

Here's a photo of some early fall color passed along via RMNP's Twitter feed:

http://ow.ly/i/TeUf

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: foliage

When was this pic taken? We are headed there on this next Sunday. We have done the second week in September and the foliage was beautiful, with the leaves still on the trees.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: foliage

The picture rky posted was taken from East Portal Campground (end of highway 66 in Estes Park) on either 8/28 or 8/29. See this thread for comments about the early fall foliage in Colorado due to heat and drought. The photo link I posted on that thread for Hermit Park was also taken on 8/28 or 8/29.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k57184…

Normally, fall foliage in RMNP starts to peak around the third week of September. Last year, it was toward the end of September.

8. Re: foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:16