We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

My husband and I are planning our first trip west and are planning on seeing Yellowstone and Grand Teton national park. I'm wondering if we should see rocky mountain national park or not? Time is a factor and I'm wondering is it similar to the other two or something different? Any help I'd appreciate it!

Many Parks Curve Overlook
Forests, Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Valleys
Hallett Peak
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

How long your trip is will impact the answer, in my opinion.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

"I'm wondering is it similar"

I believe the short answer is no. A more relevant question is whether or not you will have the time to visit that many different national parks or if your time would be best spent exploring one or two for longer.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,176 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

Are you flying into Denver? If so, RMNP is basically on your way to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Most people consider Trail Ridge Road to be the crown jewel of RMNP. You might want to read some of the reviews for TRR.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60945-d19…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,098 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

Have been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons three times in past five years and to the RMNP twice in the past 5 years. If you are flying into Denver then yes the Trail Ridge Drive is a must see in the RMNP. You will not be disappointed.

The RMNP can be done in a day then it is a full day drive to YNP and GTNP. You will need at least 2 days in the GTNP and at least 3 or more days in YNP. YNP is huge and is the size of a small state. You will then need a full day to drive back to Denver.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

Thanks for all the input we are driving from the east 3 days out 3 days back were planning on 5 to 6 days in the parks. However our route out runs closely to rmnp. Still it sounds like my time might be best spent focusing on the other two parks.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

Just to put things into perspective, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and other associated national parks, wilderness areas and wildlife refuges comprise an area larger that the entire state of W. Virginia or roughly 2/3 the size of the state of PA. People spend a lifetime exploring this area and barely feel as though they've scratched the surface of these treasured natural areas. With only six days, I would focus on making the best use of your limited time by picking a few things to do in one area rather than driving around trying to see it all. RMNP is an amazing place to visit on a future trip when you have more time.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

Thanks I think I'll leave rmnp for another trip

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

I'm a little bit late to this thread but having been to the Tetons 3 times and Rocky Mountain NP once, I would totally skip the Tetons in favor of the Rockies. Love Yellowstone but have always found the Tetons anticlimatic. And, you could also skip RMNP and spend the whole 5-6 days in Yellowstone which would be my ultimate recommendation.

9. Re: Is Rocky Mountain National Park a Must See?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...