We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

Hi all, I have posted a couple of threads already in the Colorado forum and have had some great replies, I thought I would post a new thread rather than add to one of my existing ones.

My husband and I are flying into Denver in September and spending 2 nights in Estes Park before travelling on to South Dakota for 3 nights, Cody 2 nights, Yellowstone 4 nights, Grand Tetons 2 nights and 1 night somewhere on the way back to Denver airport.

With flight times/long drives etc, it would mean that we would only have one full day to spend in RMNP and I am really beginning to think that we are short changing this wonderful area. We will be arriving on the Saturday of Labor day so will be dealing with high crowds also. We can’t really add a day to the holiday and as convenient as it would be to fly home from Jackson Hole and save that overnight stop on the way to the airport, extra flight costs and one way drop car rental charges would leave this an expensive option.

So I was thinking we could drop a night in Cody WY and use it purely as a stopover on the way to Yellowstone and accept that we won’t be able to do much sightseeing around the area.

I know it’s a difficult question to answer as it’s a different state! But what would you do? One full day in RMNP and keep the two nights in Cody or 3 nights/2 days in RMNP and just a one night stopover in Cody?

florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

May I ask how you decided on South Dakota for 3 nights and Cody for 2 in the initial plan?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

Hi plz2meetu, I decided on 3 in SD, because we want to see Rushmore, the black hills and badlands, so figured even two and a half days would be tight to see all that. I allocated 2 for Cody because I figured it would be late evening by the time we got there and would be leaving by lunch time next day, so figured an extra night would allow us to see some of that area. But now wondering if that night would be better spent in RMNP

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

I answered your question about Rocky In a Day over Labor Day weekend at one of your other post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k60571…

I know from some of your posts in the Colorado and Wyoming forums that you are locked into your itinerary due to some lodging issues in Yellowstone. But you should look and see if you can make this loop trip work for you. This would put RMNP at the end of your trip instead of the beginning. It would also allow you to drive and explore all of Trail Ridge Road considered the highlight of RMNP by many as part of your journey. Trail Ridge Road is highway 34 through RMNP between Grand Lake and Estes Park.

http://mapq.st/Vwq2Z4

If I recall, you get in later your first night. You could stay in Cheyenne which would not be much further than driving to Estes Park your first night.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

I noted on one of your Wyoming posts that the only lodging locked in is Yellowstone. If you go to Grand Teton before Yellowstone, then you could make this loop work and put RMNP at the end of your trip.

5. Re: Drop a night in Cody to get extra night in RMNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:16