We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Hi all, only two days to go until we arrive into Estes Park... YAY! I have been reading up on altitude sickness and what we can do to prevent it. I know slow aclimatisation is the best prevention, but we will be going straight from sea level to Estes Park (long flight if that makes a difference?) I know most people manage fine, but my husband is the sort of person that is hit with every type of sickness going so I fear he may be affected!

So in preperation, we started taking a low dose of aspirin last night (75mg) and will continue for a few days after we arrive. I am upping the amount of water we drink and will continue when we arrive. I will also take Diorylite sachets (electolytes) in our water when we arrive. We will limit alcohol, smoking and caffience. We intend to take it easy on our first day, exploring the area around Bear Lake and then will do the TRR on our second day.

I've been planning this trip for so long, I would be disappointed if we were feeling below par for the first few days. Is there anything else we can do to pre-emp the dreaded AMS?

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,415 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Here is a recent discussion regarding altitude sickness medication and first timers to Colorado.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33364-i296-k67774…

If you start to feel bad and need a pick me up, you might want to try the Oxygen Sanctuary in Estes Park.

http://www.eptrail.com/ci_18560424

Estes Park does have a hospital and urgent care - not that I think you will need it.

http://www.pvhs.org/body.cfm?id=848

http://www.epmedcenter.com/about/index.html

The guys at the fire stations during your travels in Colorado will also usually check your blood pressure and oxygen levels.

Do be aware that smoking is basically prohibited in all public buildings and within 15 feet of any entrance to a public building in Colorado. RMNP also has its own smoking regulations.

"Smoking is now prohibited except in an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed site such as a campground or picnic area, or while in an area at least three feet in diameter cleared of all flammable materials. "

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

If you go back to the main CO forum page there is a column on the right called Top Questions and one of the topics is Altitude. Check it out for lots of great information beyond what is listed in this.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Sounds like you're doing everything you should be in order to minimize the effects of altitude. Best of luck!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,944 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

I wouldn't "limit" alcohol, caffeine, and smoking--I'd absolutely eliminate them (that's what we do on every ski trip) until you become acclimated to the altitude.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

"I wouldn't "limit" alcohol, caffeine, and smoking--I'd absolutely eliminate them"

that sounds aweful! ;)

Estes is not all that high about 7500. I'd not worry too much.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,944 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

We don't smoke, so that isn't an issue for us.

We don't find giving up alcohol and caffeine to he a terrible hardship for us--the benefits in feeling good far outweigh the drawbacks.

I agree that 7500' isn't a problem--for most people.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Eliminating the smoking and alcohol.... no problem (we are very occasional partakers of both) but no caffiene??? To paraphrase Homer Simpson "the cure sounds worse than the disease!"

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully we will be ok, I am probably being uber cautious. Don't want anything to spoil this amazing holiday. Off tomorrow, can't wait! Thanks for all the help with the planning and stupid questions I have asked over the last few months. Will do a trip report when I get home!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

Have fun!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

ncmc, for regular coffee drinkers, the acute effects of caffeine withdrawal (headaches, nausea....) make it wise to limit rather than eliminate your coffee consumption while on vacation.

"Beer. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson

10. Re: Anything else I should be doing to prevent altitude sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...