We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Ridge Road - all the way to Grand Lake?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Trail Ridge Road - all the way to Grand Lake?

Hi all, I am in Estes Park at the moment and I under estimated how long we would spend around the Bear Lake area today and as a result, we didn't get to see Sheep Lakes or Alluvial Fan, so we would like to see these in the morning as well as drive the TRR. Would we have time to do Sheep Lakes, Alluvial Fan and drive the TRR as far as Grand Lake and back? Or would we be better to only drive part of the TRR and turn back? If so, how far should we go?

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,416 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Sheep Lakes
Sheep Lakes
33 Reviews
Alluvial Fan
Alluvial Fan
247 Reviews
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Ridge Road - all the way to Grand Lake?

Go in the Fall River Entrance to RMNP off the highway 34 bypass/Fall River Road and both Sheep Lakes (not much to see if the Big Horns are not there) and the Alluvial Fan and Horseshoe Falls are on your way to Trail Ridge Road or to Old Fall River Road if you decided to take it. You have plenty of time to see both and go to Grand Lake and back. Driving time is only about 3.5 hours round trip. It is all the overlooks, short trails and wildlife sightings that add more time. Over to your right in the Top Questions is a Trail Ridge Road timeline under the question "How long does it take to drive Trail Ridge Road?"

Mentioned in this post
Sheep Lakes
Sheep Lakes
33 Reviews
Alluvial Fan
Alluvial Fan
247 Reviews
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,934 Reviews
Old Fall River Road
Old Fall River Road
384 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Ridge Road - all the way to Grand Lake?

Thanks fv, we will go over as far as Grand Lake. Since its 4:20am and we are both wide awake, I think there'll be no issue with getting an early start!

No trouble with altitude sickness, except for the broken sleep and a bit of dizziness while walking in the Bear Lake area.

It's all worth it though, the Rockies are ten times more beautiful than I expected and I am already heart sick at the thought of leaving tomorrow.

Mentioned in this post
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,416 Reviews
3. Re: Trail Ridge Road - all the way to Grand Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:32
Get answers to your questions about Rocky Mountain...