We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Random Last Minute Questions

Lewisville, Texas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
A Few Random Last Minute Questions

My trip is next week! Yea, finally. I have a few last questions I hope can be answered.

Has anyone hiked the "unofficial" trail between the Lake Haiyaha trail and the 4 way intersection of trails that go to the Lock, Mills lake, and Alberta Falls? I'm looking to do a loop from Bear Lake TH to Glacier Gorge TH. Is this unofficial trail safe to hike? I'm assuming it's more like the hiking paths I'm used to using that aren't heavily traveled or regularly maintained like a national park trail is. Am I right? Anything I should be concerned about?

If it was EXTREMELY busy at the park and you had to pick one trail 4 miles or less that is less popular (in or out of the park) which would you choose? It doesn't have to be particularly awesome, just a nice hike.

Can I pay for park admission at the visitors centers, or only at the access gates? Also, do the parts of the park that don't have access gates - like the Lumpy Ridge and Wild Basin TH's check for park admission? My daughter has a friend coming up for one night and I'd like to steer them to trails that won't require admission to the park if possible since we'll be splitting up.

Ok one last, slightly weird question! I went hiking locally in Texas a week ago and was bombarded by grasshoppers anytime we got near grassy areas. Are there grasshoppers in RMNP? And if so, are they mostly in the meadows areas? And are they excessive - as in, it's no fun to hike in that area because of the ariel assault ?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide :-)

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Few Random Last Minute Questions

I do not recall paying a fee to hike at the Lumpy Ridge area but there is a fee station at Wild Basin.

LOL I have never been attacked by grasshoppers here, but they do exist. I'd guess if they are there they would be in the meadows and not necessarily along the trails.

I'll let others weigh in on hikes, etc.

Hope you have great weather and a wonderful trip. Please come back and give us a trip report :)

Edited: 15 July 2014, 16:56
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Few Random Last Minute Questions

Thanks to the Rocky Mountain Conservancy (formerly Rocky Mountain Nature Association), the trail between Alberta Falls and Lake Haiyaha is no longer unimproved. That extensive trail project was completed in September 2012. You can read about the project at this link.

nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/09/trail-albe…

Some hiking websites have not been updated for this change.

A less used trail to consider - it is more than 4 miles but it is an easy 5 mile loop.

protrails.com/trail/97/rocky-mountain-nation…

Another hike to consider is Mill Creek Basin from Hollowell Park.

…wordpress.com/2008/…

If you will be there on a Saturday morning, look at the 4 mile ranger led hike "Tundra to Trees" or one of the other ranger led hikes on other days. You seem very interested in learning about the park and this is a good way to do that. See the summer ranger led activity schedule. You would be surprised that many people do not take advantage of these hikes, walks and talks.

nps.gov/romo/…ranger_led_activities.htm

Lewisville, Texas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Few Random Last Minute Questions

Thanks! A few hoppers here and there aren't a problem at all. I was just wanting avoid swarms of the little buggers. That hike I did last weekend was an experience. I felt like I was in a miniature version of "The Birds"! My daughter who is going with me was on that hike and said she hoped the Rockies weren't like that. I'm thinking the cold to cool nights the area gets for much of the summer is hard on most insects. Of course that didn't seem to hurt the pine beetle any.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 18:49
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Few Random Last Minute Questions

It takes temperatures of -15 to -30 degrees continuously over 5 to 7 days to kill pine beetles depending on whether it is fall (October and November) or winter. We have not had temperatures cold enough, long enough or at the correct time of year to do damage to the beetles. We keep hoping. It does appear that the beetle epidemic has slowed.

5. Re: A Few Random Last Minute Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:17