We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon Peak

MN
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rincon Peak

Hello, I'm looking for some guidance in regards to the Saguaro National Park.

I am considering planning a trip to Tuscon this winter, and am curious about the hike to Rincon Peak. If someone was a little afraid of heights, would you not recommend this hike? I've hiked to Ryan Mountain in Joshua Tree and that was not a problem at all. I guess I'm just wondering if there's a scramble to the top where you have to get on your hands and knees or something crazy.

Anything would help. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon Peak

Thanks for posting on the forum. I've not hiked that peak so I can't speak from experience. Others will weigh in too. Have you looked at the links for Things to Do in Saguaro Park or Tucson?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon Peak

Ryan Mountain is 3 miles round-trip. Rincon Peak is something like 10 one-way. It's 6 just to Douglas Spring campground, which is where a lot of people camp before continuing up to Rincon Peak. It's a little shorter on the backside, if you go through Happy Valley and Mescal, but it's a pretty rough road getting in. And there is NO potable water anywhere on the trails. Douglas Spring is a bit of a misnomer, because it's rarely flowing. I wouldn't try it in one day, personally. Info here, which mentions to 40% grade at the end, so that should answer your question: arizona.sierraclub.org/trail_guide/hike13.htm

It's also important to point out that Rincon Peak can get quite a bit of snow in the winter. If it's snowy, then it's probably best to not go up there.

If you're interested in hiking while in Tucson, then I would suggest you do Douglas Spring Trail, but only go as far as you're comfortable with. Even getting to Douglas Spring campground can be tough. If you want to climb your mountain, consider Wasson Peak, in the park's west unit. You can access that via the trail at the end of El Camino del Cerro (my preferred route) or via the Hugh Norris Trail. Definitely not a bad idea to do an easier hike at first to get acclimated though. Tucson sits at 2500' in the basin and about 3000' by the trailheads. That's a lot higher than Minnesota.

Feel free to post again if you need more information on hikes. It really depends on what you're comfortable with.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon Peak

I should amend the above, because I realized I was giving sketchy directions to Mica Mountain, not Rincon Peak. Mica Mountain is actually the tallest peak in the range. The only reasonable way to access Rincon Peak is along the Miller Creek Trail, detailed in the URL I provided. But, still, a really, really tough hike.

Reply to: Rincon Peak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saguaro National Park