We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions...travel with kids

San Marcos, CA
Level Contributor
260 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Questions...travel with kids

We will be staying at the Lodgepole campground over the july 4th holiday and I have a few questions...the group will consist of adults, teens and a few small children.

Are there bike trails to ride on or should we leave the bikes at home?

I have a toddler, so I was wondering if the hiking trails are wide enough to take a jogger stroller on?

Also how far is Hume Lake from Lodgepole and is it worth a drive up with the kids? Good activities up there; can they go swimming?

Thanks!

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions...travel with kids

There is no bicycle riding on trails inside Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park, only on park roads which are typically not wide enough to include bike lanes. So you would not find anything that the children could ride on near the campground.

For bike trails you have to go outside the National Park boundaries into the National Forest areas. Here is a web page listing 3 trails with descriptions.

…live555.com/rides/SequoiaNationalForest.html

I would expect that over July 4th the Park and hiking trails will be busy. The jogger stroller would fit on many of them but you will be maneuvering around other hikers in the more popular areas.

The Park Service is strongly recommending people consider using the free new in-park shuttle bus on busy days.

Although not as busy as Yosemite Valley, during Memorial Day weekend the rangers closed the road to Moro Rock several times because there was no parking available in that area. Instead visitors lined up to use the shuttle bus to get there.

http://www.sequoiashuttle.com/en/routes.php

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions...travel with kids

Hume Lake would be quite a drive. You'd have to go through to a turn off just after Montecito Sequoia Resort and down a very winding road. Dorst Creek for day use swimming/splashing is another option you could consider.

My twin daughters easily completed the Crescent Meadow loop trail when they were 4 years old. There is a decent picnic area there. From near the Moro Rock area, the teens could easily hike back to the Giant Forest museum. I started at the start of the Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow Road , hiked along the canyon rim (not dangerous at all), to the former auto log and past the Col. Charles Young Tree back through Giant Forest. I saw all sorts of wildlife; including a bear sow and her cub.

The information desk at the Giant Forest Museum has excellent information available. And the ranger programs at Lodgepole are wonderful. There is a nature center in Lodgepole where even your toddler can become a junior ranger.

Will you be going to Crystal Caves? If you do, I'd suggest a park association membership so you can get half off the price of cave tours. The savings will more than pay for the membership.

3. Re: Questions...travel with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:19