We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

We'd like to stay one night in or nearby cedar grove. I've seen a few references to Kings Canyon Lodge but found no reviews or websites. Is it still open?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

Must be there. Last TA review is jan 23 2008

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

Uh, that resort is in Australia!

I've been to Sequoia a few times and never heard of a lodge of that name in King's Canyon in California.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

There's definately lodging in Cedar Grove (or there was a few years ago), but I don't know the type ... could be cabins.

Did you check the park webite?

www.nps.gov/seki

If you can't find lodging in the canyon, try John Muir Lodge at Grant Grove Village.

Good luck!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

No King's Canyon lodge. The Lodge at Cedar Grove is very basic. Plain rooms upstairs with a river view common deck upstairs. On the first floor is a snack bar style cafe & a general store. Lovely setting.

The John Muir Lodge at Grants Village is much nicer with a large common room w/fireplace were they have a "campfire" lecture at night in season. A nice deck of the end & rooms spacious but also basic. Across the walkway & small pond is the complex of sit down resturant, coffee shop, snack bar, post office, General Store & a few shops. Near by is the small Museum & other exhibitions. I have stayed at both but normally camp at Cedar Grove.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

That makes sense ... the Cedar Grove Lodge gets called the Kings Canyon Lodge because its in Kings Canyon.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

Sorry, that lodge is in Australia, but if you ever go, Kings Canyon is awesome and not to far from Uluru (Ayers Rock) -lol-

Tet

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

There is a small motel at the bottom of the Canyon with a cafe & gas station. It is not actually in the park as the road travels in & out of the park.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

I think what we are all saying is to check for the Cedar Grove Lodge. It really is beautiful in the canyon.

scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

Thanks folks, it was my lonely planet book that mentioned it as halfway between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove (and a better deal) but I guess my book is out of date.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kings Canyon Lodge - does it still exist?

I believe it's the motel I mentioned as they also have some cabins BUT a poor substitute for in the park lodging at Cedar Grove. The "lodge" at CG is right beside the river & a lovely spot. But a couple of mile down to a short trail & a most lovely waterfall the flows year round. In addition on the "Back" side of the river are a number spots you can drive right to little beaches on the river with a good possibility of spending the day all alone picnicking & relaxing in peace.