We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

We are interested in renting a home or cabin near the Sequoia National Park. We live in L.A. County. Would like some recommendations for where to try and find such a rental. Also, will we need a/c in August? Thanks! Jo

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

National Parks are not pet friendly (generally you cannot take pets on trails or in most in-park lodging). That said, I found this website (I think these places are not in the park) nationalparkreservations.com/sequoia_pet.htm

The problem is where to leave your pet while you are enjoying the park.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

That's true. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I didn't realize they didn't allow pets in the park. Thank you.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

Do your pets a favor, leave them home and hire a pet sitter. Some trips are just not comfortable for pets and Sequoia is one of them. You would end up leaving them in your rental while you went out hiking and sightseeing. No pets are allowed on trails. Yes, it will be very hot in the daytime.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

Thank you. We do take our pets hiking in Placerita Canyon and also at Vasquez Rocks. My Golden is pretty spry and enjoys the outing.

Having never been there, I am wondering about the difference between the Sequoia National Forest vs. Sequoia National Park. Apparently dogs are allowed in the Forest but not the park.

got the info online:

Named for the world's largest tree, this forest is home to 38 groves of the giant sequoias, as well as impressive granite monoliths, glacier torn canyons, lush meadows, and rushing rivers. There are also several features/attractions here, some of which include; a 50 mile auto route (Kings Canyon Scenic Byway) that descends into one of North America's deepest canyons; several lookout stations-including the highest lookout (Bald Mountain) in the southern Sierra Nevadans; there are 3 National Recreation Trails, 45 miles of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, and more than 800 miles of maintained roads/over a 1,000 miles of trails. There is a wide variety of year round land and water recreational opportunities.

**Your dog is welcome here at Sequoia National Forest (not to be confused with the less than dog-friendly Sequoia National Park). **

Dogs must be friendly, well behaved, on no more than a 6 foot leash, cleaned up after, and inside an enclosed vehicle or tent at night. Dogs may go on all the trails and throughout the park; they are not allowed on developed swimming beaches or in park buildings.

I do mostly have a pet sitter at home for other times.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

As a general rule National Forests are dog friendly and the National Parks are not. In the National Park, dogs are generally permitted where cars are permitted, i.e. parking lots and campgrounds, but not on most trails (there are exceptions here and there). National Park lodging (in the parks) frequently does not allow pets, but again there are some exceptions.

The National Parks (as compared to the National Forests) contain the world class attractions (General Sherman Tree, Yosemite Falls, etc.) while National Forests are just forests, sometimes with lesser attractions.

6. Re: Looking for a nice rental pet and kid friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...